1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had no idea these things could be dangerous.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, May 17, 2018.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Electrical, liquid under pressure, what could go wrong.
    all forms of smoking are bad for you (apparently):eek:

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Multiple reports of this, depending on your level of conspiracy theory engagement, they're pushed by the tobacco industry. The bottom line is battery technology is pushing the boundaries and incorrect manufacturing processes can result in dangerous batteries. Also, damage to the battery cases by dropping and the like can also trigger these issues. We see plenty of reports about mobile phones, laptop batteries, etc. causing fires or exploding.

RogerMac likes this.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Vapes are no more dangerous than any other handheld battery powered electronic device apparently......maybe holding cameras at arms length isn't so daft after all?:eek:

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

But I wouldn't be able to see through the Vito's viewfinder then!

S

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Dangerous or not I still find myself rather shaking my head in something like wonderment that our small town can apparently support THREE Vape shops. Just how much vaping is going on?! Especially when you consider that you can also buy most of the vaping accoutrements from Jimmy's or Davy's (dodgy newsagents apparently quite happy to sell cigarettes to 13 year olds when 13 year olds say 'It's for my sister', but that is another story) or Superdrug or even probably the Co-Op. I can't remember the last time I even saw anyone vaping. I have certainly never seen anyone but staff in any of the three vape outlets. Do people go there under cover of night?

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

These vape pens are a particular bugbear of mine.

I have a friend who decided to stop smoking several years ago and used a variation on the vape pen to help him stop. He's not smoked one single cigarette since the day he decided to stop and he still uses his vaping device. The device he uses contains an unscented liquid with (I believe) 0.1% nicotine content - he says that even that small amount of nicotine 'takes the edge off' any cravings he may feel. He also acknowledges that another large part of using his device is to give him something to do with his hands when he goes for a drink to replace the process of rolling and then smoking his cigarettes.

The device he uses is not a vape pen or an electronic cigarette - it's a vape pipe. It's actually a really nicely engineered piece of kit: it's constructed from stainless steel, turned and polished and made from parts that screw together with properly threaded pieces that look as if they were made using proper taps and dies. In reality it has as much of a look of a component from a top quality socket set as it does of a pipe. My friend will step outside the pub to take a couple of pulls on his pipe every now and then over the course of an evening - he doesn't use it inside, however when he's in the pub he'll keep it in his hand and use it to punctuate his conversations (picture him holding the bowl of the pipe while pointing at someone with the stem and saying "...and you mark my words, young man...").

In my opinion, my friend is using this device in a sensible way.

There's a young chap who catches to bus most mornings in Rawtenstall. I've never seen him smoke, however one morning he turned up with a bulky plastic and tin-looking affair stuck in his gob. When he exhaled, the amount of vapour that was expelled was stunning (at first when I saw the cloud of vapour I thought that there might have been some kind of disaster involving one of the steam trains at the nearby station!). Every morning the suffocating cloud of vapour that he exhales has a different (but uniformly nauseating) aroma.

I've overheard him explaining to his friends that the liquid he uses doesn't contain nicotine - but only as a adjunct to his descriptions of the various flavours of liquids he uses. We've had 'Red Bull' (don't get me started on the smell of Red Bull!), 'Candy Floss' - which really does smell like candy floss - but not in a good way, 'Dandelion and Burdock' - but not any kind of dandelion and burdock that I've ever encountered and 'Strawberries and Cream' which somebody more charitable than me might have admitted was slightly reminiscent of the aroma in the gentlemen's toilets after a long day at Wimbledon.

When he sucks on this abomination it makes a sound like a small child trying to get the last dregs of a milkshake through a straw. As far as the style and elegance of its construction is concerned - well, it looks like a Cyberman's cock.

In my opinion, he's using his vape pen in an anti-social and thoroughly obnoxious way. I'll not say that I want his pen to explode, but if it did I wouldn't be too upset.

</rant>

Cheers, Jeff

8. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I see a lot of youngsters using them.

9. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

A lateral shift......a bit early not yet #12
    A little while ago our local friendly farmer gave us two trays of genuinely free-range eggs (5 doz.!!!)
    "Crack 'em in a separate bowl, just to check, some might be a day or two old."
    My wife gave one tray to our daughter, up for the weekend.
    Later she started to whisk them in threes for freezing.
    Meanwhile, back at the cooker hob, I was tending a superb omelette.
    It was free moving and floating on olive oil (not Olive Oil) and I had just lifted it on a spatula to turn it.
    A 9mm pistol shot about 4 ft. from my ear caused the soft omelette to scoot off and crash on the side of the pan.
    A loud shriek from my wife signified some terrible incident.
    Egg number four, tapped on the side of her whisking-bowl to crack, had exploded.
    No contents, and we were picking bits of shell, from some quite remote places, all evening.
    Total absence of any supply of electricity.
    We neither of us smoke!
    D.Lox.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The number of times I have been behind a moving car issuing clouds of vapour from the driver's window - how the heck can they see.

While I detest secondary smoking I am revolted by the thought that the huge clouds of water vapour people spew out are the perfect medium for transmitting lung diseases.

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Okay I do vape sometimes I'm vaping right now because indoors it doesn't make the place smell and also it's safer (Dave's sister died from burns after she fell asleep holding a lit cigarette if I drop a vape stick as I am no longer holding the button down it switches off) and in wet weather you can vape inside the "Bells" but I have never really understood these people who seem to be obsessed with blowing out as much steam as Boris Johnson

12. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

So is passive vaping the new passive smoking?

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In theory not but who knows?

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

One of the things about smoking is that people develop ritualistic habits which are as difficult to overcome as smoking. The tobacco industry many decades ago realised and devised advertising that implied that smoking was what sophisticated people did. Presumably, these vaping devices are now considered by some people to also offer the same visual status?

15. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

Speaking as a vaper, I know that the things do look ridiculous.... which is as it should be; if it looked "cool", kids would be inclined to do it.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm not sure it's down to visual status as much as it is down to "smoking pleasure" with instant gratification and a wide range of flavours to explore and enjoy, much like enjoying different wines or beers but more habit forming.

Smoking the same brand of 'baccy day after day and year after year isn't very interesting.

17. Andrew Flannigan

I've always taken the view that people should be free to indulge any drug they fancy subject only to 3 conditions: 1) they're old enough to understand the risks they're taking; 2) they don't harm anyone else; 3) they pay enough tax on the drugs to cover the full cost of any treatment they require from the NHS. The current situation is the exact opposite of those 3 conditions.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

With regards to vaping?

Cigarette smokers prop up the NHS (and pension funds) for others currently.

19. Andrew Flannigan

The taxes and restrictions on tobacco and alcohol are exactly what I'm thinking of. If we extended those to all other drugs it would be a better model than the current totally ineffective efforts to keep them off the streets.

daft_biker likes this.
  20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member