1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't care what anyone says, I like Purple Fringing ...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

and slightly soft photos ;) .... taken with my K-50 and Tele-Takumar (M-42) 400/5.6 lens ..

Sept15-17-AP-Fri-JRSP0003 copy.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Oh yes. That's some serous CA going on there. :)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Done_rundleCams

Oh yeah, Craig :D .... Bright sunny day with a 40 (ish) year old lens ... I kinda expected as much, well, maybe, not this much ;)

Cheers,

Jack

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's a perfect case of "so bad it's good". ;)

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's art, nuff said

6. Done_rundleCams

Indeed, Andrew, indeed :) and, pretty much, sums up all of my pics :D

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

As, David, my old photo editor used to say ''... if it's not news, it's art" :D

Cheers,

Jack

Zou likes this.
  8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Somewhere, sometime, somebody will start with a technically perfect picture taken with the latest very expensive hardware, and then spend many happy hours playing with software trying to produce something like this...

Do you have lens that will produce the fashionable green fringes instead?

9. Done_rundleCams

:D ... If memory serves, Chester, back when I had photoshop, I could do that with .... not the Saturation, but the thing that was linked up with it (??), so, failing
    to remember what I'm trying to think of, Nope, I don't think I do ;)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Chester AP

I have a K5 which I believe has the same 16 Mb Sony sensor as your K50. This is a crop (not resized) from the centre of a 'straight from the camera' JPEG shot using the 400 mm end of an old Tokina 80-400 zoom that is about 15-20 years old used with a long (10 cm) lens hood. I have found that the fringes are minimised at 1 or 2 stops down from the maximum aperture, and are also reduced when using the long lens hood (so perhaps light entering the front element of the lens from the side is part of the problem) . Both purple and green fringes can be seen around the duck's head, but a few moments with my old copy of Photoshop Elements 7 has reduced these. The real problem with this shot is the unexpected dynamic range - the white tail feathers have lost detail that can only be partially recovered from the RAW file.
    _IGP1662 CROP.jpg

11. Done_rundleCams

I know what you mean, Chester, about closing down the aperture and it definitely reduces the purple fringing :). I can see the purple around the ducks
    head, but, I can't see the green :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

12. Chester AP

If you click on the image you will see it full size at 2721 x 1647 pixels. Then look at the beak - the purple fringe on the left and green fringe underneath are visible. I don't usually put images this size on the website, but in this case resizing it to 1000 pixels would probably make the fringes less visible.

Chester

13. Done_rundleCams

Hi Chester,
    I might be getting slightly colour blind, with a green bias, if there is some green fringing underneath the beak it must be very minute, cuz, I can't see it :eek:
    Although, that wee drop of water is cool :)

Cheers from Confused in Vancouver :eek:

Jack

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I thought I spied the purple fringing in the water?

15. Done_rundleCams

I can see, kinda, the reflection of purple fringing of the duck (?)

Jack

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It is there but it's narrow, quite weak and the shade of green is not that dissimilar to the water behind it, I had to look carefully to see it...:)