1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't believe it

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Interesting.
    My local micro brewery makes a very nice Vanilla Porter. However for the past few weeks they haven't. They say they are struggling to get vanilla.
    Now this is serious.....

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the vast majority of vanilla [vanillin?] around today it artificially made, though it is exactly the same molecule. So I doubt if there will be much effect on ice-cream.

S

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Real madagascan vanilla was always expensive which is why it was probably not used in most mass produced items. I can see this affecting independent retailers of 'artisan' type ice creams but i very much doubt if your average ice cream van will notice any difference.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Going back further in time, who remembers the 'Nescafe' shortage back in the late 70s? Well, because of the weather producers are suffering this year, it's back with a vengence.
    Caused by the coffee berry borer, this beetle transformed coffee so that even with 4-6 spoonfuls of sugar it was still bitter-tasting. A single infected bean would 'pollute' all the other beans ground with it. I think in the end, an Infrared or UV beam was employed to identify and cast aside the infected ones. - Was this technique shown on the TW TV programme?

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I have a tupperware box of caster sugar "marinading" with vanilla pods ready for my next batch of ice cream (once I have checked that the eggs didn't come from the "near continent").

Actually, I am lying. I have a bottle of vanilla essence to use. I doubt very much if it is a natural product.