1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am not a terrorist, peeping tom, burglar or peadophile ...

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Helge Nareid, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Helge Nareid

Helge Nareid New Member

Why am I posting this photo?
    Normally I wouldn't - it is an example of many photos I make which I won't take any further. I can see what I wanted to do, but I did not succeed. No big deal, but ...
    Seconds after I took this photo, a car pulled up beside me with the driver demanding to know what I was doing. I told him that I like taking photos in the "blue hour" when the outside light balances with artificial light - I even showed him this image.
    You may notice that this is a blank brick wall with no windows.
    At this point, I will have to admit that I acted a bit unwisely - I told him that my photography was none of his business. He got more than a little upset by that statement, and in the course of the ensuing discussion accused me of taking sneak photographs through people's windows (notice, there are no windows on that wall), "casing the joint" for possible burglaries, sundry perversions and in general he was not happy with my attitude, which I will admit was less than contrite.
    I eventually lost my patience and told him that he wasn't worth reasoning with and walked away. The last I saw of him was some silly driving apparently intended to show me that he was on to me.

Many (possibly most) enthusiast photographers have similar stories to tell, and it is worth pointing out:
    - There are no restrictions on taking photographs in or from a public place (with some very specific exceptions, mostly related to security installations) https://www.theiac.org.uk/…/ACPO_Guidance_PhotographsPublic…
    - Private landowners and personnel acting on their behalf can restrict photography on their land.
    - Nobody, including police, can request you to delete images without a court order.

Back in the day, there was an Amateur Photography web page on this subject at:
    https://www.amateurphotographer.co....ghts-print-them-out-and-keep-them-handy-19949
    Unfortunately, the link to the card of photographer's right on that page no longer works. May I suggest that you try to reinstate the link?

The next bit is about common sense:
    - I was making no effort to conceal that I was taking photographs, using a rather big camera. It is very easy these days to take photographs without anybody noticing.
    - If I wanted to be "casing the joint" from photographs, I could do that in more comfort by using Google Street View.
    - While I have no direct experience of this, I suspect that the yield from walking the street trying to grab an indecent image through a window would be very low indeed. But I have never tried this, so what do I know?

As you may guess, I am very frustrated by this incident. But I won't let it deter me from taking photographs in locations and at times of my choosing.
    But I won't try to spy on other people's private lives, and I never have.

May I suggest that this may be a suitable time for AP to revisit this topic?

Attached Files:

2. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

The information contained on the card is out of date, section 44 of the terrorism act was repealed.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is a simple matter to produce an update card without reference to Section 44.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect most, if not all, of us have at some time encountered graduates of the 'University of What The Sun Says' (other similar rags are available). Sadly it's not always easy to keep cool in the face of such ignorant self-importance....:(:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This has been discussed ad nauseum both here and on many other sites. The world has an adequate supply of arseholes and just be glad you haven't met more of them.

Nigel_Atherton likes this.