1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am being published !!!!!

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Sphinx, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Negative Income Tax (ignoring its unfortunate acronym) is the answer. If we got rid of cash and collected/payed the tax through the banking system, people like Sphinx would receive money automatically on a daily basis and the rich, ahem, "people of questionable parentage" would pay what they owed on the same basis.

Of course, the usual "assault on our ancient liberties" argument will be rolled out immediately. {shrug}

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Small government groups should not be objecting to Universal Credit unless they are so dumb as to not read past the first word of its name.

Universal credit will/would be not so much means tested as means balanced - it calculates need compares it to actual income and makes up the difference while making sure that all income is rewarding.

It would not go to every individual and would not be the same amount for every individual - it would cover need and be responsive to changing circumstances.

The people who are objecting are those claiming to stand up for the poor and vulnerable - who would mostly be better off on it, and in my opinion a significant amount of the reason is because UC would leave the pressure groups with far less to do because people would be able to do and benefit from doing more for themselves.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The income growth (since 1979) multiple of the top 1% when compared to the average is quite sobering, too. Is it sustainable?

Several taxes are paid under threat of fine or imprisonment but so very few - only one? - actually go to make highly paid people richer.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...back-any-tax-i-owe-vows-gabby-logan-1-6628294

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-25-pay-cuts-in-tax-avoidance-clampdown.html

4. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

I get that ...

...but how does a tax go to make rich people richer?

5. 0lybacker

Hi Mike,

Who is that tax paid to and what is it used for?

Cheers,
    Oly

6. mikeh201355

tax is paid to the government and used for public expenditure.

It would help if you actually explained your comment instead of being cryptic and answering a question with a question

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Please define the following as public expenditure:

The bank bail outs.
    The Iraq war.
    The Millennium Dome.

Unless I missed something and my tax did not / is not paying for any of these?

8. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I read the first couple of pages and then the last couple of pages which seemed to have little to do with the first couple of pages.

It seems to me rather a paradox to expect a local newspaper whose very existence is threatened by free internet content not to reduce its costs and enhance its chances of survival by looking for free content.

A couple of days ago I fixed my dishwasher myself for €25 by diagnosiing a faulty water inlet valve, finding a replacement from ebay and fitting it myself. Youtube videos facilitated this as I otherwise would have no clue on the internal workings of dishwashers. Do I lament the loss of income for the appliance repairman. Sorry, I do not.

We can have sympathy for the professional photographer who is out competed by the amateur photographer but it is pointless. It is becoming more difficult to make a living because of the information age, but tough really, it's just the way things are going. Just as the agricultural labourer had to find something else to do after mechanisation so will the small time press photographer have to rethink. The information age will close some doors and open others, but the key is to evolve rather than to kick against the pricks.

Well done for getting published.

9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Exactly!

10. mikeh201355

Ah, the good old broad sweeping statement of disgruntelment dressed up as a political rhetoric. By that same reckoning you could make a case of every government policy as a way of 'making the rich richer' so heck, why not stop all tax as a point of principle and stop all government expenditure.

11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Of course all three are genuine public expenditure, incurred by our government on our behalf.

You may or may not agree with the policies that led to that expenditure (I didn't agree with Blair's Iraq war, was sceptical about the Dome - but now regard the O2 arena as a good investment, and accept that we would have all been in the sh!t without the bank bailouts) - but the point is that we have the opportunity to elect our government every 5 years.

12. mikeh201355

Tut, Tut.
    Didn't you know that the election is all a sham to keep the proles quiet and that we don't live in a democracy at all?

13. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

You may be right about that. :)

But we will have the opportunity to change it in Scotland on 18th September!

14. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Not really - you will still have politicians, won't you?

15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Well someone had to say it, didn't they ;)
    Nope, it was a genuine question. The phrase "public expenditure" implies that money is being laid out for the benefit of those it is being spent on behalf of i.e. The Public.

The Examples given, it could be argued, could all at one point or another be linked with private financial interests rather than principles of public expenditure. Even if the dome had been successful, would the extra funds have come back to the taxpayers pot or gone to private business...? I'm not sure, as it didn't happen, however...

Take another example, we helped to stabilise The Republic of Ireland economy during the recession with a bailout. Now that's a really nice thing to do, and I have no grudge about it because it really helped, but it could never be classes as 'public expenditure' - I think the £21 billion of public funds (including the accidental 'back-door bailout' which was double the original amount sent in the first place) would have really helped the UK public during the recession if it had been expended on them in some sort of expenditure on the public, perhaps...?

This is the question: Does all spending of public money come under the term as public expenditure? No, of course it doesn't. Did the woman who stole all the carpark money at my local council and spent it on grossly overpriced elvis memorabilia count as public expenditure? Damn well hope not.

Put like this I kind of see where you are coming from, and it's hard to deny that without the bank stabilisation the whole country may have tipped up on its end and sunk beneath the waves so that could be counted as expenditure on our behalf just to maintain the status-duo if anything else...

But as my question above, is all outlay of public money 'public expenditure' - maybe I should rephrase my question:

Are we talking about funds expended on the publics behalf, or simply the publics finds that have been expended (on whatever)...?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  16. 0lybacker

Hi Mike,

Sorry, thought it would be very obvious from the links I posted for you. Not all tax is paid to Government, btw. In fact, increasingly amounts of tax goes to independent agencies. They, on the whole, do not tend to make a lot of people rich - unlike the TV Licence Fee (which is not even collected by Government now) - although the directors of the organisations seem to do quite nicely, often including bonuses.

Cheers,
    Oly

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

My thoughts exactly, Ffolrord, and, I believe, I commented back around page 3 or 4 :eek:
    ;)

Jack

18. paul james

paul james Well-Known Member

lets put it this way !! once whilst working in my friends studio using olly gear I saw an old zenith E

for inquisitiveness I loaded a mono film went out shooting and returned to develop and print it

I promptly discovered that I'd produced some of my best shots for a while

partly because I'd stated thinking about why both aperture and shutter were used together

but also because I'd built knowledge up from relying n one program or another

and I also realised the most basic manual camera can outperform the most expensive all singing and dancing camera

19. paul james

paul james Well-Known Member

oops wrong thread!!