1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. A nice reminder that things can go wrong considering there's a lot of water between Amsterdam and South America. Not that I am scared of flying, but I certainly have more thoughts about that sort of thing when I fly far more than I ever did.

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Grey...........17°C

Lynn

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Grey, cold, 9degC North wind. Winter already?

4. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Heavy dark cloud cover, 10°c, heavy rain predicted for later.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Now I'm retired I'm not going to fly again if I can avoid it. The bits of work I do do are in Brussels and the train(s) aren't that much slower than flying given that it is an hour taxi to Manchester and flying cattle class means you do need almost all of the 2 hour check in.

A year or so after the incident I was checking in at Manchester to go to the States again when the fire alarm went off. As they evacuated I saw the crew member that was doing the business cabin on the eventful flight. He wasn't on duty where I was sitting on the new flight but as we prepared to land he came around checking on everyone. When he asked if I was comfortable I said "better than the last time we flew together, sir" - we swapped some tales and he dumped a full (sealed) bottle of champagne on my table "in memory". I have to say that was a nice thought. But, a full champagne bottle doesn't fit in a hotel room minibar. Warm champagne is disgusting, plus, rolling a champagne bottle around in a wheeled bag rather shakes it up so I was loth to open it. I eventually managed to "gift" it to a US based colleague. I never found out just how supercritical it had gotten.

Catriona likes this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And now we've got a Yellow warning: Thunderstorm, from 13:00 to 23:00.

Of course, it would be the evening I'm going out to see friends! :rolleyes:

7. Catriona

[​IMG]

Met office warning
    Enjoy! Get those cameras out.

8. Catriona

Make sure to take plenty of pictures!

9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just said goodbye to someone and the needed an Ark to cross the road to their car, I am glad I dont live in the bottom of the valley

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Everyone is saying they've got their heating on but I refuse to do it in June so I've been going to bed early but Monday night I had to get one of my winter quilts back out

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Back in May I was telling myself to get off my arse and change the duvet for a lighter weight spring / summer one. Glad I didn't now.

Catriona likes this.
  12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oh bum, doesn't quite reach me, I'm just the other side of Weymouth / Portland.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not as bad as "I'm going out to sea with friends!"

SqueamishOssifrage and SXH like this.
  14. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Or put another way, Gore-Tex!
    Sunis shing now, though.

Lynn

15. Catriona

I gave in. Heating on. Bloomin cold here. NE wind and 9deg C is not acceptable!

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I had the heating on twice a day, morning for the shower, and evening when it chill's down. Now I have it on all day.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We're on the edge of the yellow and amber warnings. Wonder if Lidl are doing canoes this week?

18. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I thought of putting the heating on myself but have held off so far.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've just got back from buying petrol, and it's still raining. The earth around here must have been very, very dry before this recent rainy spell - about 36 hours now, as the local flood control features (balancing lakes and automatic, remotely controlled weirs) are still in their "dry season" states.

20. Catriona

I gave in, in the end. Must get new front door... I don't know how it sneaks in (the wind) but it does. All seals look fine. Hinges fine. Letterbox fine. But the wind still creeps in when it is from the North or South. Faces East, by the way. No porch. No room.