1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Still raining, maybe it won't freeze after all. Unusual for a forecast to be that wrong!

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Still raining here. Doesn't feel that cold either. We'll see what today brings.

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I think I shall take my camera for a walk this afternoon. We have bright sunshine, with a very high thin cirrus just softening the light enough for some pastel-shaded bijou landscapes.

Whoops - sorry - got that wrong - rain, snow, hail, sleet, freezing fog, black ice, thunder, lightning, gales, floods - I can see the icebergs off Larnaca harbour from here!

I just don't want to upset anyone. :p:D

Zou and peterba like this.
  4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Birmingham..Nice and bright, the sun is just about to come through my bedroom window its looking good, its 8-40 Sunday, am I going to get up no its so warm here in bed, so its another hour on the lappy.....then I will think about getting up!

Catriona likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the official letter from the Office of Extremely Silly Rules telling me I can only breath out half as often as before in order to assist the government in achieving its carbon emmission targets. ;)

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well. I wouldn't hold your breath, Andrew... [geddit?] :D

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Catriona

Clearing skies now here in Stornoway. No signs of life however! Suppose I should get on with the ironing, but summoning up the enegy to put down my KIndle and do some work requires planning and energy. Cup of tea first, I think.

RogerMac likes this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I reckon you're just homesick... ;) :D After all, who would want all that sunshine, all the time...?! o_O

SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  9. Catriona

You need a neighbour like my 87 year old couple across the road. They still use an open fire for heating and water and although the pump doesn't work in a power cut, the residual heat is enough for us to have a laugh and chat by the fire. His camping Gaz heats a tin pan of water so we don't go thirsty either. They are amazing and the stories are too.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I must confess that I do get a little homesick around Christmas time. I have always enjoyed the traditional English Christmas. I particularly miss the English village pub, for which I have found no substitute worldwide. As for the sunshine, mid July to mid September can sometimes be reminiscent of Dante's Inferno!

peterba and Catriona like this.
  11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Bright and clear in York ATM . We have two grandchildren for a sleepover as their parents were at staff parties lastnight. Youngest has just ordered boiled eggs and fried bacon for breakfast, which is a combination I have not cone across before

Catriona likes this.
  12. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Nice and bright...but the dog was hugely enjoying the volumes of surface water lying around.

Graeme

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Oh dear! Ha!

14. Catriona

Sometimes the forecast is just so wrong!
    ap sunlight.jpg

Zou likes this.
  15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Calm, overcast , looks like there was rain during the night, paths are damp, more rain forecast for the afternoon and evening. Looking ahead there is some rain forecast for each day up to Saturday, none showing heavy stuff though.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

About 5 degrees here but sunny .

17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

Not "or" but "and" in our case.

Unlike you we don't have wasteful central heating (or indeed mains gas) so we warm only the rooms we are using, when we are using them. Get up: turn off bedroom heater. Will turn it on again about 1 hour before going to bed. Go down to kitchen: turn on electric heater until we have enough other heat from bottled-gas cooking (toasties for breakfast, leeky pie for dinner) to turn it off. Study: electric heater: writing this while wearing sweatshirt over T-shirt. Two pairs of socks: sheepskin slippers. Séjour: electric heating only until the chimney is swept next Tuesday. Studio: sweatshirt, gilet, fleece, scarf, beret-like hat while standing in front of free-standing bottled-gas heater. For bath tonight: towel rail + fan heater, turned on well before running the bath.

In winter, we often turn off the bedroom heater for a few hours at night, but on a really cold night it stays on all night. Hence comments on increasing electricity bill: the temperature determines how far in advance we turn on the heating in any given room.

I have worked in cold surroundings, e.g the Himalayas in February with no electric power in the village for 5 days, so I don't take kindly to feeble virtue signalling by those who pretend to know about cold weather.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

When I was young, in Aberdeenshire, winters were very cold for weeks on end.
    Frost on the inside of windows was the usual view in the morning.
    We dressed to suit the conditions. We had a cooking multi fuelled stove in the kitchen and my clothes were put on a clothes horse overnight for my dash downstairs to get dressed in the morning. We had emergency lodgings arranged near the school in case we couldn't get home (10 miles away).
    People did die because of the cold, including one classmate who decided to walk across a field to get to her farm home. Found against a fence, dead.
    As a child I didn't really appreciate the dangers and the effort to keep us warm. As an adult, I realised how hard it must have been. It wasn't till the mid 70s that we got gas central heating and what bliss that was - but I was in London by then!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There was shadow detail before the save for web.....

weather-report2.jpg

20. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Its winter here in Canada. Where I live we get less than eight hours of daylight.

Bipolar

[​IMG]