1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your weather?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mine is rain followed by rain and on and on. Flooding already on the lower Islands and loss of power there too, but from the mainland somewhere.
    I'm just hoping our Stornoway power station is getting geared up and ready!
    Gales coming in later.

Hope you are all keeping dry and warm!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Blowing a hoolie, no snow or freezing rain despite yellow and amber warnings respectively. Not looking forward to going to work in the morning, as I suspect it will freeze overnight.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It was a bit gloomy and then some rain but now just gloomy again. Hope all you lot oop north are OK.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Continual very strong winds and rain, rain rain.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Oh! Ice not good at all! Be careful!

6. Catriona

We have the rain but no winds yet. Stay safe.

7. Catriona

Thank you. The rain has been non-stop all day!

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Our weather is...... Winter weather.....

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Cold by our standards, but nothing that can't be tamed by increasing the electricity bill. Getting warmer now: 7-8 degrees tonight instead of 1-2 last night.

Cheers,

R.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Freezing rain earlier and then a wee skiftin of snow. Dogs will get a nice surprise when I take them out again.:)

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Rain,hail. Rain, hail, hail....getting colder...icy patches starting to form. COLD.

Graeme

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Lots of weather.

Wind and rain.

S

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

York is cold, blowey and wet . No frost yet and !as t week the government sent us an extra £100 to keep warm. So all in all could be worse.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

or the appropriate clothes. Presently long sleeve roll neck top instead of vest, long sleeve shirt, and long sleeve pullover and that is just the top half.
    Gas powered heating is on at a sensible level. I do not anticipate wearing a hat when I go to bed.

15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Rained all day until about 6pm, and a bit cooler, not made any changes to heating but the temperature in here has dropped by about a degree C.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Cold to start, rain later but now warming up to a high of 6 or 7 by midnight.

17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

A nice sunny day, about 20 degrees C. Tomorrow is supposed to get to 24 degrees.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You can go off people, you know.

S

peterba, Roger Hicks and John Farrell like this.
  19. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My oil-fired central heating/hot water boiler died yesterday (Friday) and the earliest engineer appointment I can get (from a firm I trust) is next Friday.
    Fortunately I had an electric shower installed after this happened a few years ago and we have an electric convector heater for the living room. It's been cold, wet and windy all day and my wife has been wearing four layers on her upper body.

Tomorrow should be 2 degree warmer.

My wife is not happy.

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Commiserations! I do hope that you can both keep sufficiently warm.

My original 30 year old centralised gas boiler (i.e. sited in a very central part of my house and not wall hung on an external wall) failed a few years ago, and after considering the options, I moved to relying on a number of electric oil filled convector heaters. I'd been in the house over 30 years, and had accumulated masses of gear, so moving it so that new pipes could be installed wasn't an attractive option.
    There's no doubt that the house is not as warm as it used to be, and I do wear a warm cardigan quite often, so my global carbon emissions must be lower than before. Convector heaters do fail occasionally, but I now have redundancy in my heating system. I also have a gas hob, which doesn't rely on any form of electricity, so can always make a warm drink.

Catriona likes this.