1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you shoot it?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Apr 4, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So, I thought I'd start a couple of threads. This first one, is for folk to post photos of something that caught their eye, and for other folk to comment on how they would have tried to frame it, shoot it, or if they'd even bother. It's not really for a critique of the original images (hence not in appraisals), just for discussion on what approaches to the subject might have been useful.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

I've been out a lot shooting numbers for my personal project, and saw this wall.

20170402-7DM2-6L3A6915_x800_hq.jpg
    20170402-7DM2-6L3A6918_x800_hq.jpg
    20170402-7DM2-6L3A6920_x800_hq.jpg

I liked the patterns, the light was pretty hard (and high, you can see the shadow), and I had a 24-105 (on APS-C). I couldn't find a composition that interested me, as much as the wall did itself. Any suggestions? (These are RAWs with basic corrections and levels applied).

I thought about getting very low and trying to shoot upwards, but alas, my foot and arm still aren't helping with that approach and so I skipped it. I was mad at myself afterwards, but I think I might still be there now if I'd gotten down as low as I wanted.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I have little idea what I'm talking about here, but maybe wait for someone/something else in the shot to create a juxtaposition. Maybe someone carrying a spotty bag, or someone dressed in black and white. As I say, no real idea but just throwing it out there.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

I like that - or with someone in very bright clothing in front of it - or stripes. Obvious juxtaposition (Mike will say), but better than just the flat on view as it stands.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I think what you're both suggesting would probably be anything but obvious. Or lady with round black hat? Bike with those solid black wheels leaning against it? It is a very difficult one to "own".
    I had a similar quandary yesterday, when I saw a poster with a lot of cheeses outside M&S. Had no idea what to do with it, but by the time I could get out of the meeting and over to it, lady luck had smiled on me.....or had she? Debate away. https://flic.kr/p/Sf1yMy

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

My own suspicion is that I might take a reference picture to remind myself of the place, and let it ferment. But it's very hard to imagine something that wouldn't conflict with the very strong patterns, so I might not bother.

Cheers,

R.

7. EightBitTony

Well it's not going anywhere quick, and while it's a low footfall area, it's not devoid of all people so I might spend some time waiting for an interesting person and see how it goes.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

There's always the selfie/timer/tripod option. Do you have a spotty hat? :)

9. EightBitTony

Hah, I sometimes feel self conscious enough - I don't need that kind of attention.

10. RovingMike

I think just selecting a part of the design doesn't help, because you're not really altering the intentions of the artist and creating something he didn't consciously design into it. If you used the gap between them it might, but that's rather too wide. Given it is fairly monochromatic, do the bold yellow lines help? People use them creatively quite often.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

What you need is a very fat man in top hat and tails carrying a bunch of yellow balloons, tap dancing along the street. There's bound to be one along any minute...

Or wait for a rainy day and a suitable umbrella/raincoat combo. Almost anything that has a cartoony feel to it would probably work. One man band. Sandwich board walker.

12. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

What you needed was a long-haired, beardy chap in flowing robes and sandals to walk past. ;)

13. Roger Hicks

Hand raised in benediction...

Cheers,

R.

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

When I used to work in Manchester there was a young lady in the office called Jane - in the interest of full disclosure I'll admit to having been somewhat in love with her. She was very odd, had a completely bizarre sense of humour and exhibited absolutely no sense of self-consciousness when doing the strangest things in public.

The Thursday before Easter weekend she walked into the office in the morning wearing a kind of homespun, rough cloth robe, a pair of sandals and a false beard. She explained that every year before Easter she liked to "dress-up as Jesus". Later in the morning she changed into normal clothes and that was it for the day...everything back to normal.

I wish I was still in touch with some of the people who were in the office that morning, just so that I could get written confirmation from them that this event really happened!

Cheers, Jeff

15. RovingMike

It's what your camera's made for. :)

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Why is there never an earplug monster when you need one...
    Untitled-1.jpg

17. Roger Hicks

Long, long ago I decided that one of the keys to taking better pictures was knowing when not to take pictures that had little or no hope of working.

If in doubt, shoot. If in no doubt, don't.

Cheers,

R.

18. EightBitTony

Scott Kelby is a great proponent of 'working the scene'. His often described view is that if your eye is caught by something, then your job as a photographer is to work how to photograph it to find the reason why it caught your attention. How many times do you see something which catches your attention, but the photograph is just a 'record' that doesn't then reveal anything or own the image. The aim was to discuss (not just my) photographs which are of things which captured your attention, but which you weren't sure then how to get the best out of.

Of course, sometimes there's no good way and actually, despite catching your attention, it doesn't lend itself to being presented in 2d anyway, but I've already gotten more useful feedback in this thread than in any I posted in Appraisals, because the focus isn't 'critique my picture' it's 'how would you shoot this' which is more supportive and creative, in my view.

19. RovingMike

I honestly think the only thing we would have found to talk about in Appraisals was how to shoot it.

20. EightBitTony

Maybe, but the important bit is that I didn't shoot it - I took 3 record shots of it because I couldn't find a shot I liked. I'm not presenting those three shots as 'how I shot it' I'm presenting them as, this is what it is, and how it looks. Maybe that wasn't clear enough. I didn't get a shot of it, I recorded it's existence so I can go back. I had nothing to post in appraisals.