1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to win photo competitions (or not)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by wozza, May 11, 2018.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Highlight 1: In a way, though, they're still "bad pictures". There are so many ways -- often cumulative -- that pictures can not quite be good enough that it would take forever to analyse what remain, ultimately, failures.

Highlight 2: People whose own pictures are not very good -- be it technically or compositionally -- often can't see the flaws in others' pictures either. Two things are at work. First, a ropy picture will remind them of one of their own ropy pictures, so they'll vote for it. Second, even ropy pictures may be so much better than REALLY bad pictures -- poorly focused, ill-framed snapshots with dubious colour balance, for example -- that they are comparing them with the worst (including their own previous pictures), not the best.

Cheers,

R.

2. wozza

wozza Active Member

Oh God, don't get me started on Taylor Wessing. Emporer's new clothes and all that... ;)

Catriona likes this.
  3. wozza

wozza Active Member

Sure, but anyone going through the 800 or so images in APOY each month will spot some common mistakes/themes to be explored.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Haha!
    I did think of putting these in...
    2268453547_cbddf8a46d_z.jpg 2827977900_7b1cbf4c45_z.jpg

Andrew Flannigan and wozza like this.
  5. Catriona

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Reminiscent of the The Little Book of Management Bollocks - just not as intelligent. :cool:

Catriona likes this.
  7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Do they include the guff with their submission of do they make it up later?

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

You can write the guff when you submit digitally. I think the secret with this competition is to enter a series and write the most arty guff you can to go with it.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Nobody liked his pictures but his introduction was so good we gave him the first prize"? :confused:

Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I like the third image, and while the other three are certainly good, they're not anything I would personally consider exceptional in terms of stand-alone photographs. I see plenty of more engaging portraits on Instagram / Flickr.

Edit: I guess, specifically, for me there's nothing in any of them that grabs me as unique, stand-out, or worth hours of gazing.

Zou likes this.
  11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

At least they show a greater degree of actual humanity than previous years and don't look as if they could just as easily have been mannequins as people...

By and large the justifications seem to be from a standard 'Mission Statement' how to guide, the possible exception of Mr Barstow who one suspects has fallen into the trap of believing his own (self)publicity...;)

Catriona, Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Does anybody still take the Taylor Wessing competition seriously?
    I suspect that even the entrants don't.

13. Catriona

Does anyone take the BJP seriously - or RPS - or even the National Portrait Gallery? To me, they all seem pretty pedestrian and samey. I'm sure they all feel very important, to themselves, but to the rest of us plodders? I don't think so.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  14. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

If you dont enter you cant win!.....I only read the BJP in the dentists or doctors waiting room, I go to the National Portrait Gallery when I visit London because I like looking at pictures and yes I take the RPS seriously I would say that though because I have been a member for a very long time, getting back to winning competitions you have to be so lucky if you ever win one...

15. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Or take an excellent shot that is appreciated by the judge(s)

16. IvorCamera

No you don't always have to take a excellent shot............

17. IvorCamera

18. Catriona

Well, I've received notification that my selected picture has been left at the door of the venue of the exhibition in Tyler, Texas. I do hope it doesn't rain, although that would probably improve it!

19. IvorCamera

We have our fingers crossed for you Catriona.....

Catriona likes this.
  20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It’s not essential but it might well help

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018