1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to win photo competitions (or not)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by wozza, May 11, 2018.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Most start out innocuously and then ramp up the aggression. I generally use the ignore button but sometimes their wind ups work before I can find it.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Wow, thanks for all these ideas and comments! I like the 'Why you didn't win' idea. We'll definitely put that on our 'to do' list.

3. Nigel_Atherton

APOTY will NOT be won by a professional photographer. It may interest you know that after each round of judging our features team now go through all the winners and weed out any that are shown to be by professionals. In the first round of the 2018 comp we disqualified and replaced 8 out of the initial top 30 for being by pro's, and as a result asked Photocrowd to make this rule clearer for subsequent rounds.
    Don't make the mistake though of thinking that because someone has a professional looking website that they actually earn any kind of income from their photography. In a lot of instances it proves to be just wishful thinking.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Nigel_Atherton

Roger Hicks beat me to the punch in laughing at this ridiculous fantasy that there are all these multi-millionaires entering APOY. To win what? A £1000 Sigma lens?

By your own admission you are jealous of the wealth and opportunities of other (younger) people and you are far from alone in this. There seems to be a significant minority who are consumed by an obsession that other people are enjoying some perceived advantage over them, and a bitterness that other people seem to have done better in life than they have and might spend some of that wealth on camera gear. And if not cameras then nice holidays, which bring their own opportunities. If they're young AND successful that makes you hate them even more. I think you should get over yourselves and quit the Victor Meldrew act. It really is tiresome.

Incidentally we are currently planing a feature on people who have won competitions using modest kit, which should dispel some myths.

Gezza, Roger Hicks and dream_police like this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

If my memory serves, didn't someone win a round of APOY with an i phone shot? It would be around three or four years ago.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Some people dislike excessive wealth because there are so many people at the other end of the scale. As of July 2017 Britain operates the 5th largest economy in the world yet over a quarter of all our children live in absolute poverty as defined by the Department for Work and Pensions. You don't need to have one foot in the grave to be offended by the disparity between rich and poor.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Eminently true but completely irrelevant to the Unseen* Eye's fantasies.

*He seems to have evaporated. We can but hope.

Cheers,

R.

8. Nigel_Atherton

I get that and share your sentiment on the rich-poor divide, but with some people that extends to a dislike of anyone who has more than they do. There's a big difference between the super rich and people who just happen to be well off enough to afford an expensive camera. And lots of people who aren't that well off also buy expensive cameras because they have made sacrifices in other areas. The immediate response of some people to a competition winner that 'well they would win because they have an expensive camera' is completely wrong-headed and just reflects a sense of bitterness and sour grapes.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

Not just more money, either. Also more passion, application, diligence, talent, experience,honesty, luck, tolerance...

Some of the photographers I meet at Arles are all but monomaniacal: relationships, accommodation, health and many other things may be subjugated to photography. I'm pretty heavily into photography but compared with some I'm a dilettante. Some of them are brilliant, and sometimes I envy them. But dislike them? No.

Of course I also meet some lazy rich kids, but unastonishingly, the prevalence of talent among them is lower than among those who make even relatively minor sacrifices (in an affluent society) such as running old cars, taking no holidays, not eating out, etc.

Cheers,

R.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

In one of his books, Andreas Feininger refered to a wealthy acquaintance who always had to have the latest, top-of-the-range equipment. His photos were still lousy.

Lynn

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My eyes lit up at this, then I checked - the paintings on the postcards of my latest calendar from Fink Verlag (printers, Germany) is by Lyonel Feininger. 1871 - 1956. Wonderful Art.

12. wozza

wozza Active Member

Cheers Nigel. Sorry the thread went a bit wayward...

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't think an IPhone counts as 'modest kit' - most users probably have a rental contract and have no idea what the hardware really costs. Some of the purchase prices are more than a decent basic DSLR and kit lens.

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The second hand market for iPhones is extremely buoyant and you can get versions 1 or 2 behind the latest at significantly more reasonable prices.

A quick look around shows an iPhone 6s goes for between £150 and £180, iPhone 7's are around £280 to £320 (expensive, but still at the cheaper end of the highly functional phone market).

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah, but your basic DSLR doesn't make calls, send texts or browse the interweb.:)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

My top of the range crop sensor DSLR doesn't do that either!

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I enter a photo competition knowing at the outset it is extremely unlikely I will win.
    I probably will put one in to the Taylor Wessing competition, but unless I hit it lucky, say, at the harbour perhaps with a fisherman, my options are very limited.

So why do it? A challenge to aim for.

On previous occasions I have thrown caution to the wind and done my own thing, thinking that somewhere out there, someone sees what I see. Vindication.
    Doesn't work! Ha!

Craig20264 likes this.
  18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Only time I entered tw was in the earlier days of inkjet printing. It passed print quality but didn’t get any further. Obviously well printed crap.

19. Andrew Flannigan

One man's well printed crap is another woman's well printed marvellous picture :cool:

20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Glad I missed this debate :D

jacobs_mark likes this.