1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use a Flash gun

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by StevenJ, Mar 5, 2013.

1. StevenJ

StevenJ Active Member

Hi,

Normally my photography consists of record shots of street, city, railways etc - but have increasingly been taking photos of people; A steep learning curve indeed.

I have bought an off camera flash (my SLR doesn't have a built in flash) and my sucess at using it is limited. The Camera (5D Mk2) has a sync speed of 1/200th so when the exposure would be faster than this, the result is an over exposed image. The flash unit I am using, I have had on the 'TTL' setting, and is the Nissin Di866.

Can anyone offer some some advice on setting up the combination of the Canon 5C Mk2 and an External Flash?

Kind Regards

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

If your flash doesn't support high speed sync then you need to shoot at or below the max sync speed of the camera. To prevent the background being over exposed you need to set the ambient exposure to expose the background correctly and set the flash exposure to expose the foreground correctly.

If using TTL metering with the flash you can adjust the flash output within a few stops using the flash exposure compensation - press the ISO/FEC button and turn the dial on the back of the camera and you should see the needle at the bottom of the viewfinder move.

Personally I usually set the ambient exposure in manual and use TTL flash with flash exposure compensation......others use aperture priority.....have a play and see what works for you :)

If you need to adjust the flash output more than you can get using the FEC controls then you may need to resort to setting the exposure manually on the flashgun.

3. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Steven,

According to the Nissin Compatability Chart, your flash does not work with
    Canon 5D Mk II :eek: Check the link below and scroll down to your flash
    with the Canon EOS cameras:

NISSIN DIGITAL FLASH: COMPATIBILITY CHART -- click here

Apparantly, your particular flash will work with the original 5D but
    not the 5D Mk II. They, Nissin, do have a Mk II version of your
    flash that will work with your camera.

Whilst there is a firmware update for the 60D, there's nothing for the
    5D Mk II :(

Jack

5. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Good advice there from Jack and others.

All is not lost, you can take perfectly satisfactory photos using manual exposure with this flash. Not as convenient as the TTL arrangement, but it works fine.

I have the Nissin Di622 mkII which is compatible with my 5DII, but, if you start to bounce the light, which is my normal practice, it needs quite a bit of intervention to get it right. Not sure why this is the case, but being brought up with manual guns, it's not a major issue.