1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up my camera tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by whiskerytorpedo, May 14, 2019 at 2:38 PM.

1. whiskerytorpedo

whiskerytorpedo Active Member

Well tomorrow [15th May] I am spending the day in London. A visit to the V&A plus a few ales in one, or several, of the many fine pubs to be found in town, along with a general mooch around Victoria and Knightsbridge. I shall be taking my Camera, tripod and a few filters, but with the forecast for wall to wall sunshine all day, I am not sure how best to shoot. I am thinking B&W and expose for the highlights. Has anyone else got any ideas?

Bazarchie likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You will not win many friends using a tripod where you are planning to go and in some places along the river they aren't permitted at all.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Are there many? I think the immediate area around the London eye is one but I don't know of others. Go toward the millenium bridge and they abound (last time I was there).

4. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Tripods or friends ?

peterba likes this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

A monopod is a better bet.
    Exposures are always about the lighting. A preset is not the answer. Just react to each situation appropriately. And preferably shoot raw to give you the maximum headroom.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Many areas where use of tripods is not permitted.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

What camera? Modern cameras seem to have made tripods less necessary than they used to be

8. whiskerytorpedo

whiskerytorpedo Active Member

Yes, sorry more details would have been helpful. I shall be using an Olympus E-PL9 with a 14-42 kit lens. Filters will be a polariser, a 10 stop ND and a 1-4 stop variable ND. I don't have a specific plan in mind but I enjoy shooting in B&W and it suits urban photography. I also would like to try some longer exposures to try and capture the movement of a bustling city. Anyway it should be an interesting day.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Too late now. So how did it go?
    Have you lernt through real experience something worth passing on. If so, are you wiling to share?

RogerMac likes this.