1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to post images (updated)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by EightBitTony, Jun 30, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For images that you have on your computer, and want to embed into a post
    1. Prepare your image, i.e. get a JPG ready, on your computer, with the long edge at most 1024 pixels long. The size limit ensures the post is viewable on the widest range of devices.
    2. Start a new post, or go to the reply box for the thread you want to post your photo to.
    3. Click the 'upload a file' button (bottom right in the reply box, middle bottom in the new thread box).
    4. You'll get a popup window, click browse, and then find the image on your local computer (i.e. find the directory you put the file into), and select it.
    5. Once selected, you'll get a thumbnail of your image underneath the post, along with the filename, and two options - thumbnail or full image. Click the full image button to put the full image into the post. If you prefer to just show a thumbnail, use that option.
    6. These images are uploaded to, and hosted on, the forum site. They are not part of the gallery, they are simply embedded directly into your post.
    For images hosted on the web, where you can see the image using a simple URL
    1. Start a new post or reply
    2. Click the 'Image' button in the toolbar above the post (it's the box with a landscape and little sun icon)
    3. Paste the URL into the dialog box.
    4. This method is most prone to displaying images at strange sizes, try and link to images which are between 800 and 1024 pixels on the long edge at most.
    5. These images remain on the original site, and each user's browser goes and grabs the image when they view the post, which can sometimes lead to inconsistencies.
    NB: This only works, when the URL shows just an image. It doesn't work where the URL goes to a website which surrounds the image with other stuff. So it works for some sites and not others. That's nothing to do with AP, that's just how it is. Usually, but not always, this means the URL should end with .jpg or .png or similar, if it doesn't, then this process isn't likely to work.

For images hosted with other image hosted sites
    1. Each of these sites will have their own instructions for sharing images.
    2. This is outside the control of AP, but the forum software allows you to embed images using BBCode.
    3. Flickr allow you to use either a simple URL (i.e. use the above optjon), or BBCode. If you use the BBCode option on Flickr, ensure you pick a size on the long edge between 800 and 1024 pixels, again, to ensure your image is viewable by as many people as possible.
    4. Again, these are links to the image, which are actually grabbed by the browsers of people reading the site, which means if they move or change, the links can become out dated.
    It's not possible to describe how to achieve the processing with every single image hosting site, but many of them will fall into the second category above. However, a lot of people use Flickr, so here's a specific example (which is subject to change whenever Flickr change their process)..

Specific Flickr Example
    1. Browse to the Flickr image you want to embed.
    2. Click on the 'share' icon (it's a right pointing arrow) - if the arrow is not there, the owner of the image has disabled sharing, there's nothing you can do.
    3. If the sharing icon is there, you'll get a dialog box with some options, Share / Embed / Email / BBCode. Choose BBCode.
    4. You'll now get a dropdown list where you can choose the size of the image, pick one where the longest edge is between 800 and 1024 (or smaller, if you prefer), and copy the code in the dialog box.
    5. Simply paste that code straight into your post, and the image will show up when you save the post.

2. EightBitTony

Feel free to sticky, or ignore, or suggest changes. I get frustrated with people saying 'AP should update the posting guidelines'. Anyone who wants them changed should offer to write them. Anyway, I've written them.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

For a brief moment I seemed to have liked Tony's post twice. Pity the system reverted to normal again.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Yes, they really should update the guidelines
    th.jpg

Geren likes this.
  5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Very good; have a chocolate MBE!

Now all we need is for some admin type to add (official) max/recommended size data and sticky it.

6. RogerMac

I have reported it as needing to be sticky - it will be interesting to see what happens.

Many thanks to Tony for writing it all up

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Stickied...Cheers guys:D

RogerMac likes this.
  8. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Meaning what exactly?

9. RogerMac

Meaning will it become stickified or not? However I see that it has so many thanks to (presumably) your kind self and some more thanks to Tony

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Oops, nice bit of back peddling there Rog :D

11. RogerMac

No back peddling involved I meant exactly that

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Excellent work, Tony. I've managed not to notice the ability to upload from disk - Duh! Think how many pictures wouldn't have been replaced by silly messages from Photobucket if I had noticed and used that. :(

13. EightBitTony

It only got added in the last forum refresh, before then you had to use the gallery (which didn't work very well).

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So I'm not entirely stupid - phew! :) I used Photobucket because a friend claimed it was better than Flickr. Then I discovered the gallery which was fine until I ran out of space there so I went back to Photobucket and this happened. In future I'll just do direct uploads.

15. EightBitTony

I think imgur might stay free for quite some time, but it's more of a community thing than just an image sharing service - and I don't know how easy it is to share raw links.