1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to I choose best camera?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by izajahmad, Apr 2, 2017.

1. izajahmad

izajahmad Member

How to I choose best camera? I see lots of camera but i am little confuse which camera should i buy?

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The one that suits you best.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Depends what you want one for but the types split between cameras with a permanently attached lens and cameras with interchangeable lenses. The latter split into compact system cameras and reflex cameras (DSLR). For an all-in-one look at compact cameras, if you want to optimise results lok at interchangeable lens cameras. You then have further choices based on format - basically the size of the camera and its lenses depends on the sensor size so you have small, medium and large options. Depending in what you want to photograph and how much weight you want to carry around and how much you want to pay the choice narrows.

izajahmad likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Best for what?

What sort of pictures do you want to take?

What do you want to do with the pictures once you have taken them?

How much are you prepared to spend?

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well there are few things to consider. What are you going to use it for, is size an issue, do you need a viewfinder, if you do can it be an EVF, do you need interchangeble lenses, do you need lights or flash guns, what is the budget and most inportantly find one that you like the logic and ergonomics on.
    You could have the most expensive camera in the world but if you don't like using it you will leave it at home.

Give us answer to the abow questions and we can give you some sugestions as to where you want to start looking.

Learning likes this.
  6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

There is no best camera, just a lot of cameras all of which are excellent for general purpose work but have different specialties. Sit down for a moment and write down

1. Your budget
    2. Your interests sports work / Low light photography / portraits / close up work / astro-photography / shape. / size / weight / weather proof / shape. / how noisy / etc. ?

Knowing that you should be able to get a short list and after helping you make that list our advice will be to go into a camera shop and try them in your hands to see which is the most comfortable

Enjoy yourself

Andrew Flannigan and Learning like this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Oh! I hope that you do not find the above answers, or my own, condesending. All cameras are a compromise even just considering the objective attributes. And that is before one considers the purely personal subjective preference of the user.
    • Major use.
    • Subordinate use.
    • Pocketability or otherwise
    • ultimate image quality.
    • preferred budget
    • absolute top budget
    Then the personal preferences.
    • Can you easily reach the buttons and controls without ridiculous contortions.
    • Have you a preferance for a particular manufacturer
    • Can you deal with incoherent menu systems.
    • Do you think like a computer programmer or as a normal person.(I was the former but am now regressing to the latter)
    • Lifestyle of user. (Do you go for designer kit or utiliterian kit? Would you buy a coat from a charity shop?)
    The list goes on. There is no such thing as a best camera but there is the most appropriate camera for a particular user.

Help us here. Give us some clues. The bullet points are just examples. Ignore some and think up some others.

We want to be helpful, but it isn't easy.

izajahmad likes this.
  8. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

If you have a budget of £15K , I could give you my wish list.....:rolleyes:

9. PeteRob

.n
    That's not very ambitious.

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

Oh, I don't know. How much more do you need than a Leica and a fast standard lens? You'd have plenty of change from £15000 if you spent £5600 on an M10 and £7570 on a 50/0.95.

Cheers,

R.

cliveva likes this.
  11. PeteRob

I was thinking a couple of 1Dx bodies, a 300 F2.8 and a 600 F4 but you are right, those lenses have limited application and the bodies are a bit heavy so a complementary system, like a Leica, would be useful.

12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Does it come with a free selfie stick?

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No, but Leica throw in an assistant who follows you around to hold stuff, and under duress, take photos of you.

Craig20264 likes this.
  14. izajahmad

izajahmad Member

Thanks

15. izajahmad

izajahmad Member

budget $500 only..

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Right, so you've still not told us anything - in which case - buy the most comfortable $500 camera you can find.

RogerMac likes this.
  17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

That is not to bad of a budget, what are you planing to use it for? And see the other questions in our posts.

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

OK at least I now know how much you have to spend and, as I said in my first post "There is no best camera, just a lot of cameras all of which are excellent for general purpose work but have different specialties" and without knowing your needs I will say that I recently bought a Canon 1300D for my Grandson and he is very pleased with it. In the absence of specific needs I would recommend it to anyone as a general purpose starter camera

19. Roger Hicks

OK. Next: what sort of pictures, + intended use?

Cheers,

R.