1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a "filter" to keep the "same editon" in all photos

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Maria Gonçalves, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Maria Gonçalves

Maria Gonçalves New Member

Hello, I'm a lifestyle blogger and I've been improving my photography skills, but now I need some help to start editing too.
    I use to take careful pictures and edit them as less as possible, but I only use VSCO filters to edit - yeah, I know it's not a professional way to do it.
    I've been obsessed with this girl pictures http://mikuta.nu/, she can always keep the "same edition" in all of her pictures and her Instagram is amazing https://www.instagram.com/mikutas/. I would love to know how can I edit my photos like that, to apparently match them all with almost the same colors. And she is really white and always look so tan in pictures!!!

Thank you so much for your help!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hello, I don't understand VCSO filters or keeping the "same edition".

If colours are the same in different images in the same location it means that a constant lighting set up is in use. The colour you record with a camera depends in the light. Same light then same exposure and same colour. If the colours are the same in different locations then either a custom white balance has been set or the camera has been calibrated against a colour checker chart which is a more through way of doing it. You can buy software for altering skin tones and "fixing" common blemishes.

3. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

As Pete says... light. Almost all the images are taken either outdoors or next to large windows with lots of natural light. It is easy to make them look the same because the starting images all look the same. Most of them (but not all) are probably taken at the same time of day. Once the tog has an action/preset to process those silimar images they can then adjust it for images that are taken at a different time of day such as sunset.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Clearly the lighting isn't constant, therefore no constant filter (preset/VSCO) will be appropriate.

At a glance, the pictures look to have quite low saturation and a cool colour balance, possibly with quite a lot of sharpening. Do you know how to achieve these effects? If not, you'll have to learn -- and you're unlikely to be able to do it with simple presets.

Cheers,

R.

Geren likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Roger beat me to it. There has definitely been desaturation of certain colours with others left on a higher vibrancy setting, and overall the white balance is quite cool. I don't know how these filters/presets present themselves to you when you buy them - is there any opportunity to tweak them to your requirements or do they just chuck a load of batched actions at the file and you live with the consequences? To get the same effect over a number of images taken in different lighting situations you would need to be able to independently adjust the saturation of individual colours, colour balance, vibrancy and exposure.

swanseadave likes this.