1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Approach This?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Craig20264, May 18, 2017.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I happened across this dead tree today. I'm sure there's a shot in there somewhere. The crop in the field is barley this year so I'm thinking golden barley, sunrises from the right, with a bit of wind to get some movement in the barley. How would you approach it?

Dead-tree-LR.jpg

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Closer, low down, at sunrise, long exposure (make sure there's enough cloud in the sky to get movement). It's a cliché, I know, but hey...

3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Wait for a sunny day with some white clouds in there, go back in the winter after snow or frost, or in Oct-Nov when there might be a bit of early morning mist about, or just be happy with what you have got and do some selective touches to it.....other than that go back in November with a chain saw.........

4. Craig20264

It's a Google Image, taken off Google Earth. I'd hope to make a better fist of it than that.:)

peterba likes this.
  5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Each to their own!

6. David Loxley

David Loxley Member

A lot depends on your personal preferences of kit. Colour (you obviously are), mono, digibox or film. I like trees. In the Lake District, using mono film I got many good silhouettes. This would not work in colour. Try losing the copse on the left and shift your viewpoint, if you can, to the left so that the tree-line from the right leads the eye to as near the base of the tree as you can and try portrait and landscape cropping to see what works. In mono a light red filter will darken the blue of the sky and the green of the trees and if the barley is ripe and golden the contrast will be great, Colour is quite pictorial and I have trouble trying to create a balance of large areas of colour in a photo'.
    (A.P. colour = English; color = American)

7. Craig20264

Thanks for the input. I did a long exposure of it a few weeks back. The Barley is now a lovely yellow, so am now just waiting for the right light in the morning. (And trying to prize myself out of bed in the middle of the night!)
    Lone-Tree-LR.jpg