1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many years have you been reading Amateur Photographer?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Nigel_Atherton, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

It's been less than a year for me , only got serious about Photography since January 2012 , but then had a few set backs through illness , so all in all around 18 months .
    Congratulations , AP , and the very best of luck .

2. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I started reading AP in the late 1960's, either purchased or I'd browse its contents in the newsagent. Probably the only other mags I used to buy, depending upon their content that month, was Practical Wireless (still buy it) and the now long gone Radio Constructor and Shortwave Magazine, relating to my other hobby.

3. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

Complete co-incidence that was when I started working here... ;)

.. but I have been reading it for about 18 years.

4. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Purchased my first copy June 1967

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Wahey, excellent stuff :)

6. Yanda007

Yanda007 Member

I only started reading AP a few months ago and love it. I find out something new about photography with every copy I have read. The explanations in there are easy to read and soak in quite well, better than manuals and online instructions.

7. Oldwun2

Oldwun2 Member

I started in 1950 when attending the School of Photo Engraving....Bolt Court, Fleet Street, London. Oh my how things have changed. I used to coat and sensitize my own plates. Anything from whole plate to 20x16. You need to be a computer expert now.

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I read my first copy sometime around '65 or '66.

9. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Read regularly from 1976 until I'd guess 1982/1984. Used to like Victor Blackman & Max Spielmann.

Then not much, rarely, never until about 2005.

Been a subscriber for 4-5 years now.

KR

J

10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Its the 60s for me! on several occasions I took out a subscription but quite a few copies never arrived so I cancelled them, when they did not arrive I read them in the local library they always had a copy wether they still do or not now I dont know......now I just walk around to the local shops for a copy the exercise does me good......

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Ron Spillman, not Max Spielmann (who are photo processors)?:p

12. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Started in the 70s, had a break during the 90s, but most issues since 2000, I've forgotten how long I've subscribed.

13. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Started buying my own copy in the late 1940s, (my late teens) but before that I read a circulated copy in the photography club at work. Earlier still, I saw my father's copy - must have been earlier than 1939 because I was evacuated then - but I was a very small boy and claiming that I actually read it would be a bit of a stretch.

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, let's see, I joined on December 20th, 2001 and I'm still waiting
    for a copy to show up in a Vancouver book/magasine store :eek: …...

…. Seriously, probably since January 2002 :) …….. and the sad part, now,
    is that when I make it into a book/magasine store and I'm lucky enough to
    find a copy of AP, it's normally (99% of the time) an issue from about 4-8 weeks previous :eek: …. :(

But, still one the, if not thee, best photo mags around :)

Cheers,

Jack ………… and I'm not biased just because I've given an ambassadorship ;)

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Good lord, Chris, that would make you at least, 65 :eek:

Cheers,

jack …. ;)

16. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

1964, when I got my Werra. Not sure how long I will be continuing. I like to see pictures with room to breath, like Creative Camera. A little white space around one picture per page and definitely not across the crease (would you fold a treasured print in half?). All my local retailers no longer have the AP and I will not subscribe as we have enough problems with Royal Mail and my wifes' Amateur Gardener.