1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many years have you been reading Amateur Photographer?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Nigel_Atherton, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Next week we reveal the biggest redesign of AP in more than a decade. The new look is the result of months of work behind the scenes, and is much more than just a rearrangement of the furniture. As well as a great new design, we’ll be introducing some new regular features, with a greater emphasis on inspirational images and practical advice. We’ve got some new columnists lined up, too, kicking off with Jon Bentley from The Gadget Show, but you’ll still find old favourites like Roger Hicks, Ivor Matanle and Martin Evening.

Even though we’ve given AP a more modern twist, the core elements of its DNA, those things that make it unique, are still present and correct. In depth, science-based reviews? Check. Insightful interview features with the world’s top photographers? Check. Features on the history and heritage of photography, both technical and cultural? Check. Coverage of film as well as digital? Check.

Everyone on the team has worked really hard to make AP the best that it can be and, like expectant parents, we can’t wait for you to see it. Don’t forget to reserve your copy!

Head for the home page to cast your vote http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ on this week's poll - how many years have you been reading Amateur Photographer?

Nigel

[​IMG]

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is hard to say when I started reading AP, but it was just after the War about 1946-7, However my school had bound copies going back to the very early days, before any photographs were included, and I read many of those as well.

3. grove39

grove39 Well-Known Member

I used to read it a lot in the 80's because my dad and granddad were into photography in a big way.

Weirdly, when i decided i wanted to learn more and look at what new kit was around this was the first site i came to because the name was still in my mind from all those years ago.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Wot? No option for 51+ years??

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That's nothing young lad.

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I started reading AP about 20 years ago and was surprised that more than half of those voting had read the mag for more than 31 years.

Some of them must have still been in nappies when they started :D

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I was certainly not in nappies at the age of ten or eleven and that was about sixty years ago. I think Mum was not too happy about some of the pictures in those days; Dad was more relaxed about the issue. But maybe even he didn't know that copies of Health and Efficiency were sometimes passed around even at junior school.

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I ticked the 31+ box. I'm in my early seventies now and have been reading AP on and off since my youth so it's actually 50+ years.

I have a collection of bound volumes and of individual copies going back to before the first world war. We'll be moving in a while so I must think about unloading that lot soon ...... :(

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have no idea. Our eldest is 35 this year and certainly it was family photos that started my serious interest so could be about the 30 mark. Mind you, when the kids were small money was tight. I remember the town library had a copy in the reading room and I used to look at that.

I don't remember AP from childhood other than by name. My grandfather was a keen photographer who I heard tell often submitted work/correspondence with AP but I have no evidence of it.

10. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Well over 50 as my late father was getting it from before WW2 and I just followed on. I even have a typed reply from the then editor commenting on a photo of his submitted during the war somewhere.

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Just got past 39 years ... I think ....(it might be 41 yrs) ...phew quite a stretch!

Should I sack my lawyer?

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dunno. Well over 40. Used to read it in the library, though. When I was at school and at university, and the choice was between AP and a pint of beer... Well, AP was free in the library.

Cheers,

R.

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Every copy since 2007.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is remarkable how old and loyal the readership of AP is. The poll results so far indicate that it would have been even more interesting if a couple of longer categories had been included.
    I wonder if the same distribution is shown in other Magazines?

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm a blow-in in terms of this magazine. I only discovered that I liked photography about six years ago and only discovered the magazine about three years ago, but I do have every copy since then. I recently went all OCD and organised them all on my bookshelf in date order. If the magazine runs for another half-century or more I'll have to get a bigger bookshelf.

16. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

A mere whipper-snapper at around 35 years compared to some around here. My Dad used to buy it when I was kid, first started flicking through it around 1979 to see what the fuss was all about. Occasionally bought, begged or simply stole it off people until around 2008 when I started taking this photo lark a bit more seriously.

17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

This will probably sound strange, but I don´t think I have ever read it...

18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

50 years...in the old days in the library, I remember Victor Blackman, in later years some of the names I have sadly forgoten, and I think it was Ivanoe.....I just cant think of the editors name who I met once or twice...I got it Regie Mason....I always thought the pictures in the mag were great in those days....mind you they are still good to-day...

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

In the late 1970s, in my new-found burst of mega re-enthusiasm for photography, I even bought s/h copies of 1960s/early70s APs from junk shops. They seemed 'old-fashioned' even then (up to 15 whole years old!) but provided me with an appreciation for what had gone before.

Some of the benefit was making me look beyond the yellowing paper, 'old' fashions, monochrome, grain, etc., to see whether a picture still looked good a decade later. And work out why.

20. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I must admit mites I only really look at the pictures these days. I'll read one page less now Ogden has wrapped his article up. They'd best not let Collectors Life go or I'll never make it to the back page!