1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How inconvenient

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Jan 12, 2018.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Oh, they do get re-purposed sometimes...
    StnPath.jpg
    Though whether a move to estate agency is a step up... ;)

3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Oh, they do get re-purposed sometimes...

Yes, but a bucket and spade won't be any use here for anyone seeking urgent relief.....

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Beeston, used to be public loos.

Ah, well here there's room on the right (only just) for those with a bucket & spade, providing there isn't a queue.:eek:

6. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Several years ago, another public bog along the coast in Ramsgate was turned into a sandwich bar. Also, one on the seafront at Deal has been turned into a cafe. Best not to ask for the chocolate log though!

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The local council sold two superloos off, one is a coffee stand and the other sells rolls and cakes.
    Many years ago a large funeral directors in Nottingham became a fish restaurant. People complained about finding bones in their meals...

DaveM399 likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine that anyone would buy it if they'd ever BEEN to Margate!

(I have, many times -- I used to live in Minnis Bay, and still have close friends in Margate, which is actually quite a nice place. But that location is one you'd fall for only if you didn't know the place AT ALL,)

Cheers,

R.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Years ago the public loos at Whitechapel were converted into an Indian restaurant- a rather good one as it happens. There's also a trendy estate agent in Bethnal Green that also used to be a public loo. It's covered with some very good street art

10. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Naturally all the foregoing begs the question, did the local councils provide alternative public loo facilities?
    I recall an underground loo on Oxford Road Manchester being sold and then adapted as a bar/bistro, but did not provide an alternative. It was a fair walk to Albert Square to the next facility, which, for all I know, might also have been closed.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Many Councils no longer provide facilities as they cost too much. Now that's an inconvenience

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I just checked: Manchester's Albert Square toilets closed forever in 1985....Oh dear, I knew them well.....

13. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Of course not! Or at least, not when I lived nearby and they closed them (along with the ones at Minnis Bay), In the 50s, 60s and even 70s the UK could afford to squander money on such luxuries as public loos and street sweepers. But as there is no such thing as society, there's no point in spending any money on society: ask the Maggon. All we need is capitalism red in tooth and claw , even if it is somewhat malodorous in some corners. For women, and men of a fastidious nature, Marks and Spencers loos were good. Or there were pubs.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  14. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

So why could the much poorer Britain of 50+ years ago afford them?

Every act is a political act -- especially when a poor person needs a pee! In the French village in which I live (under 1000 inhabitants) we have a public loo. They do in the next village two miles away too. Why can't the English afford basic decency? (Dunno about the other nations -- decades since I was caught short in Cornwall, Wales or Scotand).

Cheers,

R.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Presumably the Piccadilly Gardens ones have gone too?

16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Most of N Wales is now 20p per visit. But they now have to employ someone to be there in a lot of them to take the cash, which I would have thought rather defeats the object of saving money by charging.

S

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Last time I heard, most of Piccadilly Gdns had gone as well.

S

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Roger
    Sadly you are correct. Having worked in local government I have seen at close quarters the cuts and the effect on the lives of those who rely on a little help to get by.
    I must say that the little help isn't always cash but it may have a cost of course.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There are still loos in Albert square next to the town hall on Lloyd Street. Clean ones at that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah. To quote a certain president Piccadilly gardens is a shit hole although they are doing them up and turning it back into gardens I believe.