1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW HONEST

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Dion 47, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

If someone askes your opinion how honest are you . I don't mind what people say as long as they have a opinion good or bad. Then there are those who won't or are not able to give a reason. I have learnt a lot about how I take photos by what other people have seen in my photos. And often they see what I didn't

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm always honest. In terms of saying what I think about a photograph, it depends on the subject and context. A technically poor and compositionally dreadful shot can be someone's pride and joy. Calling people's babies ugly just because it's true isn't always the best course of action.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm honest, which doesn't always win friends. But watching judges who praised things to the sky and then gave them 15/20 used to drive me mad.

4. Dion 47

You have been looking at my baby photos !!

5. Dion 47

Then the judges who look for the technical rather than the content

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm honest with my opinion but hopefully in a way that is constructive and not merely derogatory if I don't like something.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I like the "Like" button. If the picture agrees with me I press it otherwise I stay quiet. I don't have the knack of providing constructive criticism so there's no point in my commenting.

8. RovingMike

From what I recall of Class 2 comps in clubs, there was little to say about most of the cliched content, but rather more to be observed about the technicalities. When it is not difficult to master something as simple as a shutter and aperture and modicum of composition, best to sort those first, I guess.

Like learning to ride a bike before entering the Tour de France?

9. RovingMike

But the technical is inextricably bound up with the subject. You can't separate them. Unless you created the subject, the only way you can "own" the shot is through your portrayal of it and that means every aspect of how you shoot it. How you shoot is far more important than what you shoot, there are no "good" or "bad" photo subjects, even lone trees and sunsets.

10. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

15/20 is a very high score. I bet neither your GP nor your accountant achieved over 75% in their professional examinations. Any competition entry achieving 15 deserves high praise.

But, getting back to the original question, I try to be honest but I also try to be diplomatic. There is never any point in making someone feel bad just because they produced a photograph that is short on either technical quality or artistic ability. Anyway, why would my opinion be any more valid or important than anyone else's?

11. RovingMike

Not even close to the case. Most judges judging out of 20 mark between 13 and 20. And 13 would equate for practical purposes to zero. 15 is a well below average mark. 16/17 is usually the average given. Only 18-20 are ever held back and all commendeds (ie high praise) and above would come from those. When there was great variance in the year caused by a judge marking with say 6 or 8 as lowest, we would need to re-base as above to keep the league fair.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Same here. Judges who waffle on and on about every picture are usually the worst culprits...:rolleyes:

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm always honest....

...except when I'm lying...;):D

14. Dion 47

I had a lady judge who looked at my photo said nothing just took it strait down but at the end chose mine as the winner. very strange

15. RovingMike

Obviously perfect. No comments to make.

16. Dion 47

it was my niece sitting in the corner of a hall with a shaft of light on her opening her bridesmaid present. I think it was just the mother in her(Judge) Nothing is perfect just a bad month for photos, no competition