1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far should I be willing to travel?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Maroon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

As a fairly new photographer should we expect to take any job even if it means travelling a 4/5 hours round trip?

How far have you travelled for a shoot?

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Do you mean new as in inexperienced or new as a professional photographer but with plenty of experience?

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Think Edinburgh to Balmoral was as far as I went but yes, long days sometimes. Some of the events closer to home felt longer though.

Had a few overnighters in Aberdeen too.

4. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

New as in inexperienced.

Would a professional photographer with experience still expect to travel much?

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Depends on the money, and on how much you want to do it. I've spent days at a time working for the Tibetan Government in Exile...

Cheers,

R.

6. Roger Hicks

A professional photographer, with or without experience, probably wouldn't ask the question. If you make money out of it, and enjoy it, you do it. If you make lots of money you may do it even if you don't enjoy it. If you really enjoy it, you may do it even if you only break even. Or even make a loss. I used to say that my day rate was +/- £1000 a day, I could afford to do the ones that cost me money because of the ones where I made money.

Cheers,

R.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No. Only the ones that are financially or emotionally enriching or some acceptable combination thereof.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Professionally your rates should include time used for travel or, as Roger said, be high enough to cover travel costs. It depends on the client. If it is a 3 day job (travel there, do the job, travel back) some may refuse to pay travel but accept a large charge for the day worked, others would object to a high daily charge but pay for the three days it takes to do the job. Always charge expenses on top. Even if you absorb time travelled the cost of tickets, food, hotel add up.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I travelled to Portugal at the weekend to shoot a wedding, but that was for friends as a favour. It will be our wedding gift to them.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Of course it may be worth travelling further if it helps you get in with a client likely to put a lot of business your way. Normally, I like to keep travel down to 30 mins each way where possible, that's about a 20 mile radius typically.

11. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

For anybody working for themselves I am sure the fee's will control how far you have to travel, and one should ask the question how come they are asking you to do the shoot when they could employ a local photographer....

12. Roger Hicks

Maybe they're asking you to do the shoot because you're good. When I was still based in England. I turned down a shoot in Dubai, but I took one in South India when I was temporarily based in the Himalayas.

Cheers,

R.

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

A few years ago I travelled from Northalleton to Wallasey to photograph a wedding. It had been pre arranged when the couple lived not far from me but I added in my mileage to cover the travel. They were still very happy ro pay. However if you are still just starting out then I think to get things off the ground one should take the further step to help add to your portfolio. If word spreads after this job and you are asked to do more then add in all costs incurred above that of the actual photography. It may help with tax matteras if HMRC come knocking.

14. Tinki

Tinki Member

Isn't it depends on the money sometimes? For me it does. Or if the opportunity to good to be try? Overall you should treat each case differently if travelling is an issue for you.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pfft, the Balmoral is No.1 Princes Street. Only a long day if you hit the bar... :rolleyes: