1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far do you go?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Planning for death.

I just get annoyed when I see those ads for pre-paid funeral plans.

As someone once said to me, I've yet to see anyone dead left above ground... and I've got to agree.

I have paid for the plot, simply because hubby is buried there. As for the rest of it? It will come out of my estate anyway. Fortunately, here, it's not a rip-off business - and it will give those left behind something useful to do!

Agree or not?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Someone has to pay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46796036

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Leave the body to science and have a memorial party.

Catriona likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They are reportedly very poor value for someone with normal residual life expectancy with the cost of premiums exceeding the final payout. Better to start saving!

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  5. Catriona

That was and is my gut feeling too. It makes me annoyed that companies like that prey on some people's insecurities. I would have thought it would be better, if they want to, to pay into a Life Insurance policy payable on death.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've not read the terms and conditions of one but I assume a funeral plan is indeed a whole of life policy with a relatively modest payout. I'd expect all whole of life policies to run the same risk of costing more than you put in if you live long enough. If they didn't the providers would go bust. Term insurance, where you define the period of cover, e.g. up to a certain age, or for the next 10 years doesn't have the constraint of always having to pay out.

Catriona likes this.
  7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have enough Scots DNA to hope that my heirs spend llittle as possible on the funeral itself but follow this with a good memorial party - preferably with .music and dancing

Catriona likes this.
  8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm going to donate my body to science ... heaven knows what they'll make of what's left of me!

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I carry a donor card so that as many usable bits of me as possible can be removed and recycled.

I've instructed my brother to negotiate a discount on whatever price he's quoted based on the percentage of me that's been fished out.

Cheers, Jeff

Geren, Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A while ago I had this conversations with my brother in law and he said that I was too old - but perhaps my corneas could be used. However even those have now gone

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Based on costs, I'm starting to rethink my plan for a Viking funeral up the River Clyde complete with firework display synchronised to Arthur Brown's 'Fire'. Pity.

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not sure anyone would want any of my bits these days.

S

ps as I've pointed out somewhere else, I want to be left on a platform on a pole for the birds.

peterba and Catriona like this.
  13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Our (still not officially adopted) daughter's biological father -- an old friend of mine -- died a couple of years ago and she did a very good and very economical job for him. Unless I die in Switzerland, she'll do much the same for me. Which is fine. And as you say, it comes out of my estate. But I'd hate for her to waste money on anything. As my dear late mother said, "When I'm dead, I've finished with the body. Why should I care what anyone does with it?"

Here in France, unexpectedly, you still have to pay for final disposal even if you leave your body to science (which I'll try): 700€ or so, apparently.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Catriona likes this.
  14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd rather be on the ground where the beasties can get me too.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  15. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

Catriona, is it still the case that women can't attend funerals there, on the island?

I carry a donor card of course, but I've also had written into my will that I want to be cremated as cheaply as possible (cardboard box etc) and scattered, with no funeral etc, just dispose of the body as cheaply as possible as it's no longer Me.

Ironically, my late Dad had just signed up for a funeral expenses policy and was in the free first month of it when he popped his clogs, so we had good value there! It paid out £3000 as I recall (1988).

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You don't get such a good view.

S

17. Catriona

I've known plenty of women who have attended funerals and gone to the graveside too - me included. It's not a case of can't go, simply they didn't used to go.
    Historically, the women stayed behind when the men carried the coffin, in procession, and in turn, to get to the graveyard or cemetery. The women looked after the children and animals in their absence and other women came to the house with gifts of food and for support. Because of this traditional method, it continued with the Wee frees who adapted this convention to fit their misogynist views that men were superior and women merely chattels for their convenience. Even now, there are women who conform to this belief, although at Communion times here, it is more like a Festival and orgy for all the participants. And I am not joking! Mind you, they are all surface pious folk but underneath, they usually fancy and follow the minister with tongues dragging on the carpet until it is their turn to share more than a sermon. One minister recently hung himself after being publicly outed by his wife (good on her) for his many sleeping partners over the years. Of course others in the congregation still said what a lovely man he was and such a great minister.
    So, is it any wonder that people like me conduct a funeral in a completely different way? I mean, what are they going to do to us? Nothing they don't do now.

Lindsay Pennell and Roger Hicks like this.
  18. Catriona

PS I have asked to be buried upright with a hole in the coffin for my head to be above the sod! Haha!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Don't imagine that the squirrels won't manage to get up there, Steve. Though they're primarily herbivore, they do sometimes eat meat.

Alternatively, they could just be after... nuts. :eek:

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Shove me in the oven and then pour the ashes on the tip.......................

Lynn

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.