1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does the Pentax K-01 rate for looks, in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I have met and worked with quite a number of Australians in my time, and of all of them there was only one that I wasn’t especially keen on. On the whole I find Australians friendly and outgoing, and actually very much like the British with their love of friendly rivalry. This is all generalisation, I know. They, of course, enjoy an outdoor life, and on this side of the planet they are famous for barbecues, flip-flops, surfing, a ball game with no rules and a light lager that the barmaid in our local says real Australians never actually drink.

It stands to reason that Australians must have their own designers, otherwise they’d have no houses or clothes to wear, but being perhaps ignorant rather than disrespectful I can’t actually name a single one. I can imagine beachwear and boat designers, but I wonder if Marc Newson, the man behind the new Pentax K-01 is not only the designer of the first mirrorless camera to have a full-frame mount, but perhaps also the first Australian camera designer of all time. His specialty, as they say, seems to be chairs, and his trademark colour, oddly enough, is a very bright yellow. Someone will fill me in, I am sure.

Head to the homepage to vote in this week's poll - How does the Pentax K-01 rate for looks, in your opinion?

2. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

A quirky new spin on the current retro designs that abound. I like it very much but was disappointed that the "box" on the top contained a pop up flash and not an EVF.

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Was this an Americanism or a typo?
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The cosmetic design is not dreadful (I voted 2/5) but the huge missed opportunity to put a FF sensor into a relatively inexpensive mirrorless body should count as a major design failing.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The Yellow version looks like a toy.
  6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

A comment on BJP's site muses whether Pentax have come up with the world's first "chav camera" ;)

It doesn't worry me either way as my interest is less than zero
  7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek: :p

PS: Looking at the poll Pentax have problems. :D
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, they're more like Kia than Aston Martin:rolleyes::p;)
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Which is why I love it.

I only give it 4/5. If the full spectrum of colours (as per K-x and K-r) were offered I'd possibly crank that up to 5/5.

The first moment I saw it my heart sank, but that was the dull black model with the silver top. Having seen the white (not available in Europe!) and yellow I have warmed to it. There are a lot of little details which put it apart from the crowd, which is always a good thing in my books.
  10. P_Stoddart

Please don't encourage them. :D

Probably the next version will have snap on shells like mobiles. :)
  11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

personalize your pentax...great idea....stop being stuffed shirts....this is the 21st century...:D
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not what I would call cheap, and only £70 cheaper than a K5. For anyone who already owns Pentax K mount lenses it makes sense only if you want a video camera. Otherwise get a K5 for a bit more or a K-r for considerably less. It is another "solution looking for a problem" if you ask me.
  13. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

The marking system didn't go far enough for me. I gave 0 because that was the lowest but I do think a minus number would better represent how I think this design utterly undermines the serious reputation Pentax has. Yes, they have 'cute' in the Q, but this is neither going the whole hog and being very toy-like nor is it going 'G-Shock' chunky to look ilk it'll do a robust job. I just think the design is clumsy.:eek:
    But then I looked at his (Marc Newson) website and found that none of his designs is my cup of tea at all.
    He is popular, however, but will that be enough - not for me...:(
  14. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

As a designer camera its down there with FA Porsche's ECX 1 design exercise for Samsung.
  15. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

I have a notion that some stuff was done for Jack Hannes in OZ in the 1970's :confused: and then built in HK. But that was before your time ... ;):)
  16. 0lybacker

So I take it that you're not keen on it, then? :eek::D
  17. 0lybacker

You make a good point.

I think if it was a pocket money camera and I was aged 15-25 then I might

like it

a bit.

Maybe. :eek:
  18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it looks absolutely pathetic, TBH.
  19. P_Stoddart

Oh look we agree on something. :D
  20. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

It wouldn't be one of my favourites, no ;)
    I just think Pentax as a brand, is better than this. I realise it's just my opinion, but I really do think they've chanced their arm with this one. It'll probably fly off the shelves now!