1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you right something this size?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

errr… slowly?:confused:

It must be a nightmare for something like this - on standard container ships it is at least possible that the containers will remove themselves, allowing the ship to be righted, but loads of cars inside? ouch.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

"How do you right something this size?"

Well, I must confess that it's not something that I normally bother with. ;) :D

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

No problem. Trump's phoned the Justice League of America and they'll have it sorted by this evening...

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Very carefully?

I guess it'll be like the Italian cruise liner, name of which escapes me, or the High Seas Fleet in Scapa Flow. Whoever gets the job will work it out as they go, building on what's been done before.

And with fingers crossed.

Adrian

6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Going by the image of this, I don't think it's one of the REALLY big ones! If one of those did the same thing, heaven knows how you would go about righting it!

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

It's easy. Make sure the center-board is fully down. then stand on the tip of it, while holding on to the gun'll. as she comes slowly upright she will also swing into the wind, thereby spilling wind from the sails. When the vessel is upright, swing a leg over the gun'll and slide back on board.

Don't know why they haven't done it already.

John Farrell likes this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I can imagine the cargo sliding as the ship is righted with the result that it then goes over the other way. I suppose that the salvage experts have thought about that.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not a good time to be a Lloyd's Name, I'd guess.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Looking at the video, it didn't work! That or it wasn't the centre-board they were standing on.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

is it ever a good time to be Lloyds name? Certainly not for the last 50 years.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

the US Ports ships pilot was in control. so I wonder who will make the claim for insurance.
    You have no choice but to hand control to the pilot so prevent just such events happening.
    Sort of be then end of his career, and years of experience.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pilot wasn't anyone's Uncle Albert by any chance?

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Probably Leslie Phillips.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Is that the one they've brought in a 650ft crane to pull it over? Must see if I can find the report again.

16. Learning

Let's not jump to conclusions. An officer on that ship was responsible for ballasting. The master was in overall charge, the pilot certainly had great responsiility for more than just steering the thing and all three would have been under pressure to get that vessel back to sea ASAP.
    The laywers are going to love this. Never mind who wins or looses, the cash is going to flow in just like water into a crippled vessel. Thankfully no lives were lost. I am not sure that the lawers would agree with my last statement.

17. Learning

We should not joke to much about "left hand down a bit Leslie Philips" There actually was an incident in the the Thames with a RN vessel and it was not the inspiration for the radio episode because the Navy Lark got there first.

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If the reason was an open bow door or similar I do not thick it will be down to the pilot.

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Well, a similar thing happened off Southampton a couple of years or so back, didn't it ?

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes but it didn't get quite so far over