1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hope (or the half full glass)

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by RogerMac, Jan 1, 2017.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am not sure where to initially post this but as I expect the mods to move it to the Theme section I suppose it does not matter and the Lounge is as good as any

2016 was a dreadful year.for us apart from the last two weeks and I can only hope that 2017 will be better - or at least not as bad but others in the forum fared worse. After a lot of thought I just can not think any other topic that dominates my thoughts so please lets have a lot of cheerful pictures as the days get longer.

P.S. An image of the Glastonbury thorn blooming would be a lovely start if anyone is near

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well, I look at my mahonia blooming and feel better, Just hoping no more damage to my house though!
    Ah well, I certainly found 2016 challenging, but I got through it. Let's hope 2017 is easier.

Here's a half full glass raised in a toast to you!
    glass half full 1 ap.jpg

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

17-01-01-015.jpg

I forced myself out of the house for the first time in a week and took the camera along to the New Year's Day Swim in the Clyde at Rhu Marina. It was heartwarming to see so many complete nutters wanting to start the new year with a bang. Everyone who jumped in finished the course, some with a little help from the crew of RNLI volunteers but the cheerful mad atmosphere was just what I needed to lift my mood today.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one . . . . . . . . :)

[​IMG]
    (taken yesterday near the University of Edinburgh)

Footloose, Trannifan, Zou and 4 others like this.
  5. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I took this last summer, and think it's quite uplifting. You know - new horizons beyond the door.. kind of thing.

[​IMG]

Geren, Zou, AlanW and 3 others like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've decided to try and grab every shot going this year, the way I did when I first got started with a camera. So today it's a rainy window...

[​IMG]

Geren and Trannifan like this.
  7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Life is but a roundabout and sooner or later the sun will always shine and then once again we'll feel a good deal better.
    roundabout.jpg

8. Catriona

rainbow 2 ap.jpg At the shops today. Stopped to talk to a friend (as always!) then the rain started - but this lovely rainbow appeared in front of me. So out came the camera, which got soaked, didn't want to auto focus, so bunged it onto manual and took some shots. Needless to say, initially my ISO was still high, so I adjusted that too. Should have sorted the aperure, but didn't in case the rainbow disappeared.

SXH and RogerMac like this.
  9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

New Year glimmer of Hope.

NY_Hope.jpg

Geren likes this.
  10. RogerMac

The first sunshine of the year. At times like this I hark back to religions far older than Christianity and think about the longer days

IMG_0088  1024.JPG

Geren, Catriona and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  11. Catriona

Hope this is not a hole in a roof! Fascinating!

12. Catriona

When the sun comes through the upstairs window...
    louvred sunshine ap.jpg

Zou, Geren, RogerMac and 1 other person like this.
  13. Catriona

My cosy haven.
    bedroom flowers ap.jpg

Geren likes this.
  14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Some days you are the seagull, and some days you are the statue. May we all be seagulls through 2017 and beyond.

Capt.-Cook.jpg

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

No, Catriona ... Ha ha ha ... To me, it looks like the interior of those sandstone caves in Yellowstone National Park ... except yet again, it isn't.

Geren likes this.
  16. RogerMac

Lovely image! I was wondering who it was - Captain Cook perhaps?

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hi Roger,
    yes it's Captain Cook, taken at Whitby a few years ago. I'm afraid it's a good vantage point for the gulls so get's lots of, shall we say unwanted attention.

RogerMac likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

New Year's Day. Obviously Edinburgh's new town - no lager cups in sight! ;) Glass not quite half full, but I take that to mean it was enjoyed.

Catriona, Andrew Flannigan and Geren like this.
  19. RogerMac

As I said a lovely image. I am fascinated by Captain Cook especially as he joined the navy as a rating and rose to be one our most distinguished captains. I doubt a rise like that would have been possible for many more years after him and quite possibly very unlikely even now

Geren likes this.
  20. RogerMac

Perhaps not a great image but I had a lot of fun making it and learnt a lot about reflected colour casts in the process. Probably best to use white wine next time half full  b2.jpg

Catriona and Geren like this.