1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home weather stations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Do any of you have a "weather station" ? - i.e. an indoor base station and an outdoor sensor so that from the comfort of your home you can tell how cold it was outside during the night etc. (and these days, many more aspects of local weather)

I've had an early Oregon base station with 3 channels and using 433 MHz for very many* years, with two external temperature sensors. One of the remote sensors has now failed, so I'm looking for a replacement. My gear is so old that it's not listed in the compatibility lists of what's now on offer.
    * The once tough plastic sunshade I devised has been turned by the sun's UV to a very fragile reminder of what it once was!

Checking out the usual sources, it seems as though complexity has increased, but reliability still seems somewhat suspect, so I'm hoping that some here may have some pointers for me based on 5 years plus usage.

Have any of you used a Stevenson screen? Connected to your PC so that graphs can be drawn?

Many thanks

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I had an MsF system which gives the basic info on temperature, hunmidity etc and it has an external sensor too.
    However, I could never find the data I needed to set the local pressure setting. Not on the accompanying booklet, nor the website.

It also had a nasty habit, when changing the batteries, of resettting alarms and waking me up at 2.30am and 5.30am. I once found the way of switching it off, but the last time, I just couldn't find the off setting for alarm, so I removed all batteries from both pieces of equipment!
    Strangely, I still wake up around 2.30 and 5am!

Not much help to you, unless you are considering this model - but I wouldn't recommend it.

I now have a very simple, no alarm, pair of sensors by Sainlogic, which just give external and internal teperature readings.

I bought an analogue barometer which is great and tells me pressure, humidity and temperature too (accurately)!

My favourite guide, however, is the Weather File from my local port authority. https://weatherfile.com/?loc_id=GBR00019 which, so long as I have an internet connection, gives me accurate local info.

Kate

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks Kate,

That's a new one, with the nearest location for me at Luton Airport, about 25 miles away. It also lists some professionally priced gear - way out of my range for this interest.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I've got one of these: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-centre-n96gy

It's about twelve or more years old. Probably a fair bit more.

Unfortunately, the internal software seems to have joined the Awkward Squad - it works, but will not write to its memory. I've just checked with Maplin and they have more than doubled in price since I got mine. So no new one for a while.

When they work, they are very good, download to a computer, easy to read, but setting up after a battery change is a pain in the backside - takes ages to go through everything.

S

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your info.
    I was considering that model, but the user interface on my partner's rain gauge also leaves a lot to be desired. One of the problems perhaps is that the interface designers are probably in their late teens or early 20s, and have no time to use one of these, so don't understand how simply awful the interface can be.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Give me buttons and dials any day!

S

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I've got a pine cone.

8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

[​IMG]

(Linked from Google)

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I rely upon Carol Kirkwood, despite her speech impediments.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

We've got a weather station. I reckon it must be more than 10 years old because one of my sons set it up. Earlier this year I cut it out of the hedge that had grown around it. Logically it must use batteries in order to transmit to the receiver but I'm blowed if I can see where they are.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

I've now done other searches, but yesterday I decided that I'd go for a Maplin "Professional Wireless Weather Centre - N25FR" - at least that was on the cardboard case. The instructions (which ought to be used as a test text at the opticians) don't mention "Professional", and that's in line with the very small screws etc. for fitting the components to the mast. Assembly was fiddly, but essentially straightforward - the data cables from the wind-speed and rain gauge are far too long, but use PO style connectors for which I don't have the correct crimp tool - they'll stay long.

Initially I was concerned that the two temperature sensors were in dispute about local temperature, but after being close together overnight, they agreed to within 0.1 degC, and agreed with other thermometers . The unit measures barometric pressure, so I can now check my 70 year old aneroid barometer.
    I've now got a pole in the garden, and all I need now is some daylight so that I can see to put the assembly on top of the pole. Thanks for all your help.