1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holiday Backup

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by IanG1957, May 30, 2019.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this - I've just tested it on my Samsung A8 phone and it works! (Sorry, didn't mean to doubt you there!!) This is the first time I've been able to get a device to actually recognize the XQD card - things are looking up.

Holiday (sorry, away from home...) backup and image preview is becoming much less of a problem now. Many thanks to everyone.

2. IanG1957

One last thought regarding the treatment of RAW files - I use Lightroom, so I strongly suspect (I have yet to test this) that my RAW files can be read and displayed using the Lightroom Mobile app which is free - like I said, I have yet to test this...

Looks like it's going to be an interesting weekend here!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't followed the LR mobile development but it might expect the files to be "in the cloud". I'd check before you go away.

IanG1957 likes this.
  4. IanG1957

Yes - I most certainly will....:)

OK - I have tried the process on my Samsung phone. I was able to copy a RAW file from the card/card reader onto the phone using FILE MANAGER + (free version)

When I opened Lightroom and selected the file, it copied it to the cloud, and I was able to open the RAW file and 'manipulate' it (Which I'm not really interested in doing - aside from perhaps creating a jpeg for Instagram) but it proves that LR does NOT directly open the file.

However, FILE VIEWER or indeed Google Photos found and opened the file, which is essentially all I need while I'm away - I'll leave image treatment to the desktop at home.

So the system seems to work - the copy process was very fast, and I'm able to create folders and preview the images, which is what I was looking for.

I will now test to see if I can output a simple jpeg using Google Photos etc. but all in all, I've the system I need.

Thanks again everyone

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  5. IanG1957

PS There's also the free PHOTOSHOP app which will open RAW files...