1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm, how do you define traditional photography?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Danny_the_Benchist, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny_the_Benchist

Danny_the_Benchist Well-Known Member

Curious this forum and its two sister forums contain the term "traditional".

How do we define traditional?

This forum defines traditional as being film photography, which says to me that digital photography is classed as non-traditional.

What about plate photography? Pinhole photography? Would they be considered traditional photography in that they were about before 35mm film?

Or would they be deemed non-traditional photography as this area has become all but obsolete? :D

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

For the purposes of this forum it simply means non-digital capture.

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Why not just say so then? ;) Even better for sticking the metaphorical pins in to the bottoms of the overly-sensitive, rename the board Proper Photography :D :D

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

According to a letter in the last AP we should call it 'Real Photography'

5. Danny_the_Benchist

What I am saying is that Digital Photography is also traditional photography. Everything is done the exact same way as it always has been except the CCD or CMOS sensor is the "film"

What's the difference?

Film Photography
    Digital Photography
    Plate Photography
    Pinhole Photography

Forgive me if I am wrong but wouldn't ALL come under the heading of traditional photography? Each one is a different medium! :D

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Anyone who has observed either these forums or any others, or for that matter any photography magazine's letters pages in the last ten years or so will know that interest in photography and the types of things people are concerned about and want to discuss divide very naturally - and sometimes very sharply - between the new digital processes on the one hand and photo-chemical processes dating back to the early 19th century. Equipment, techniques, even standards of various things divide similarly. 'Traditional' and 'digital' seems to us (and, frankly, it would appear to the overwhelming majority of the photographic world) to be the obvious and natural way to partition the boards.

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

To be perfectly honest with you this is the first time I can recall the 'traditional' label giving anyone any problem. It certainly seems staggeringly obvious to me what it meant.

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Indeed. The winky should have suggested I wasn't entirely serious there.

On the other hand, traditional is a rather 'blah' word. Are we to call vinyl records 'traditional' audio products in the CD (and, God forbid, MP3) age.

9. Danny_the_Benchist

I never said I had a problem, I was just curious as to what people define as "traditional". :)

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Okay - winky noted. :)

As for the blah name, well I can't recall when exactly the 'traditional' label was put in place for this board, or by whom, but after all it is just a name. Obviously 'film' doesn't work, and 'photo-chemical', whilst accurate enough, is a bit of a mouthful. 'Non-digital' seems to me hardly appropriate, since it defines something that was the fundamental technology of photography for well over one and a half centuries in terms of what it isn't rather than what it is.

But I guess if someone comes up with a better term we can change it.

11. Danny_the_Benchist

How about Chemical Photography and Digital Photography?

Chemical would cover film, plate and pinhole since all three need chemicals to produce them?

Just an idea.

12. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

It has worked perfectly well up until now, let's just leave it as it is

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. It hardly matters, does it?

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

That would be my view - only one query ever suggests there simply isn't a problem with it.

15. Alex_M

Alex_M Well-Known Member

Why not just adopt the terms 'digital photography' and 'proper photography'?

Alex

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, I think that's enough silliness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.