1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hints and tips re BP lowering!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Aug 13, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sounds like a baroreceptor problem. I was plagued with it, going dizzy when I looked up at a plane, or laid back in the dentist's chair.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, you are probably right! I haven't heard of that before, but I presume it's a balance thing?

PS I just looked it up. I wonder if it has an effect on my BP when my upper arm is put under pressure from that cuff?

PPS I wonder if that's what sends me haywire also when going from the cold to hot - and also if I have a heavy meal? Dizzy and nauseous. Hmm! You've given me a possible solution. Must relax my shoulders and neck!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Careful, you may end up thinking you've got something nasty - especially if you self-diagnose via google. Remember the Jerome K Jerome and the housemaids knee episode! :eek:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

You mean I will be able to play the piano??? :cool:

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

If you do get a monitor Kate try using it whilst reading this forum, might get some interesting results

PhotoEcosse and Catriona like this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

I've been trying out the blood pressure part of the device and it's reporting 117/78 over the last 2 hours. Then again I haven't been on this forum for the last 2 hours... ;)

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have to say that every time a mention to a doctor that I have a BP measurer their immediate response is "Is it an upper arm one? if not do not rely on it"

Learning likes this.
  9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Lucky you! That is your BP rather than not being on the forum. Is that without any medication?

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Mine's typically 120 or so over 75-85. Last time they took Frances's it was 110/60. Must be all the wine, duck fat, air-dried ham...

And sleep.

Cheers,

R

11. Andrew Flannigan

Yup! :D

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It was a long time ago admittedly, but I was taught that you should test b.p. first sitting, then standing. If there is a big difference, see a medic.
    Also, you need to check how quickly it falls after vigorous exercise.

S

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Indeed yes - I work for a Falls Clinic and we see quite a few cases of people falling over if they stand up suddenly because the drop causes them to be dizzy, I get it myself- did this morning when I was asleep in bed and the postie rang my doorbell so I jumped up and immediately had to steady myself by leaning of the wall for a second or two

Catriona likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Indeed. I quite enjoy vigorous excercise and can watch it for hours. :cool:

John Farrell likes this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Kate,
    there are two guaranteed ways to lower pressure in a closed system, but please don't even consider either of them!
    1. Turn off the source of pressure
    2. Vent the system
    Both have been demonstrated to work, neither is conducive to continued enjoyment of life. I think we would all rather you remained with us.

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

:D
    OK! I'd just like to blow the whistle a bit before the GP checks it. Such is life. I'm definitely going to try out the DIY version in the waiting room next time. At least my arm can get used to it before I go in.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, OK! I'll put the leeches away! Sheesh, you try to help... :rolleyes:

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have a usual cuff BP measurer. I used it a couple of time a few years ago.
    When I have my annual check up, they usually take it twice as they don't believe it. It has stayed much the same for at least 35 years ( the first time I can remember any one taking it)

Sound like you have white coat syndrome... all your vital signs go out of kilter the moment you see a doctor.

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I remember going around an antiques fair with an ex-girlfriend who was a nurse - this would have been around 1998 or thereabouts. We came across one stall where they were selling an antique sphygmomanometer - my girlfriend looked at the price and was seriously considering buying it. Why? Because the antique on sale was a more recent model and in better condition than the ones she was using at the Oldham Royal Hospital at the time!

Cheers, Jeff

Edit to add - I knew the proper name for them but have to admit that I had to look up the proper spelling!

Catriona likes this.
  20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

When the mother of my children was pregnant, second time following a still-birth from the first pregnancy, our GP was very concerned about her blood-pressure which was rising to what he considered a dangerous level. We bought a Jack Russell puppy, and the GP was amazed at how her blood pressure had dropped to a non-worrying level the next time it was measured. ...and it stayed low.

So, on the basis of one sample, get a dog.

steveandthedogs likes this.