1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hints and tips re BP lowering!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well thanks for that laugh! I'll remind myself of it before I see the dragon-nurse. It should certainly stop my stress-related anxiety!

What gets me on these checks, is that I'm never asked about what is worrying ME. It's always about what worries THEM!

2. Catriona

I took a cup of lemongrass tea before going, which cleared the airways nicely for a brisk walk to the surgery.

Saw sourpuss who stressed how she was fitting me in - and did I ask for the appointment or the doctor. I told her Dr Michie rang me,, which shut her up.

I am still alive.
    She wouldn't tell me the top reading but my bottom one (don't know the right terms) was 73 which was darned good to me!
    She wanted me to do home monitoring but I declined when she said yes, it would be the bicep cuff.
    So I'm to phone for an appointment with GP in a fortnight.
    So November sounds good to me!

Kate

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Systolic is up and Diastolic is Down.

I'm lucky in having excellent receptionists in both GP and dentist. On the other hand, if the secretary in the ENT dept takes me off the list again without medical advice, there's an official complaint going in.

S

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

5. Catriona

Targets! They take you off the list, then that's one more case resolved. No matter you have to go on it again.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It's not even about targets, it's one particular [low-grade] secretary who thinks she has the authority to do it because my check-ups are over six-monthly now. Her boss was very apologetic before, saying they have had other complaints about this same woman. If it is her again, the faecal matter is going a long way up this time.

S

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Has she any right to do this?

Cheers,

R.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Oh, she is a real uptight female dog. No, she doesn't have the right to withhold the information. Unfirtunately she knows I just want out of there, so she got away with it. Don't worry. Revenge, as they say (don't they?) - is best served cold. I'll drop it into the conversation when I see the GP. Nice bloke!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Here, doctors can't prescribe more than 3 months of a drug, so I get to see my GP 4 times a year. The visits are subsidised, but not free.

Catriona likes this.
  12. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I would suggest that the 190 is due to stress. The 90, because your BP is highish. Treatment should start with a diastolic of 90(the lower figure), that is prescribing medication. Sounds like you are on beta-blockers, which can make you feel tired.
    The best way to establish your true resting BP is to buy or loan a digital BP machine, and take it your self when you are rested. You can buy one for around £30-40, and being able to monitor it yourself will give you a feeling of control over your own health.
    Tip- if you do use one, make sure you fit the cuff correctly, place the machine near to level with your heart and do not move your arm, whilst it is taking a reading.
    BP varies constantly, its' best to get an average;)

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

That sounds very sensible although it must be frustrating for those with chronic conditions which are being treated on a long term basis. On the other hand, at least it gives both sides a moment to review the treatment and keep an eye on any developments.

14. Catriona

Thank you for the advice which I've taken on board. I did used to have a wrist cuff monitor, but I haven't had one for years. I do dislike the upper arm cuff and tend to tense up the moment it is applied! I wish it could be taken elsewhere!

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've been on blood pressure medication since my mid 40s, so I've seen a lot of doctors over the last 20 years.

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

After I had mine taken a couple of weeks ago, I asked the nurse if it was possible to take it somewhere on the leg - I suffer from cold feet and wondered if it could be due to poor circulation.
    Apparently it can, though I suspect it would be at the thigh end, so probably just as uncomfortable!

Catriona likes this.
  17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Some years ago, my late aunt had her blood-flow to her head monitored in some investigative procedure. Unfortunately the medic pressed too hard / too long on her carortid artery, and induced a stroke. I'd keep to having your BP measured on your arm.

RogerMac and Catriona like this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

When I was in hospital I briefly had 4 I.V. lines running simultaneously. They said that could check my blood pressure another way, but I never did get to find out how.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

Oh! Definitely not my neck. I can almost induce that by looking up and down. I do wonder if my upper arm pains are somehow connected with a stiff neck and years of monitor use.
    Now they've got the self-monitor in the waiting area, I'll give it a try before going in.

20. Catriona

PS
    It's the modern auto ones that make me worse. I didn't feel quite so bad when they just pumped it up.

I do remember when I went into anaphylaxic shock after an injection of diclofenac, my BP was ultimately searched for, (if I remember correctly) with an auto one on my forearm. Perhaps just as well it was auto, since it just fibrillated! Ha!