1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hints and tips re BP lowering!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I have to go for a check on Tuesday. Blasted GP actually looked at my records and noticed that the last time it was checked it was a bit high. It was post-smacking-my-face on the pavement and I reminded him of that (when he rang me at home!)

Now, I do get white-coat syndrome when it comes to BP checks.
    I particularly don't like the auto-inflate ones these days as it seems to take ages - and so my BP goes up and up as I become agitated!

What can I do pre-Tuesday? No salt? Plenty booze? Live on fruit? A few aspirin?

I really don't want the hike to double dosing on my medication. There seems to be no interim dose. It's either 150mg or 300mg.

Help!

Kate

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Meditation before you leave for the docs and some de-stressing techniques when you get there and while having your BP measured. Stay off the booze!

Things I find help when I know I'm about to have a panic attack. If I can do these soon, it quite often wards it off. I imagine it would help HBP too.

Breath in...count to five slowly as you do it.
    Breathe out...count to seven slowly as you do it.
    Concentrate on the counting.

Find five interesting things to look at in your surroundings. Not things that make you anxious. Describe them to yourself in your mind. Colour, texture, size, use, proximity.

Clench your toes. Unclench. Flex your knees. Unflex. Do pelvic floor exercises. Tap your thumb and index fingers, thumb and middle finger, thumb and ring finger, thumb and little finger...work backwards. Mentally repeat times tables while you're doing it.

Breathe out and raise your shoulders up to your ears. Relax and breathe in. Repeat.

Visualise. Mentally imagine what your blood pressure gently lowering might look like. Mentally make it lower.

I know. Some of it sounds like new age nonsense but it really does help me!

TheFatControlleR and Catriona like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've seen it suggested that a personal blood pressure monitor with breathing excercises can help but that's a long term solution. If you get white coat problems you should make sure the GP books a double length appointment so you have time to calm down while wearing the sleeve. My GP generally puts the sleeve on and takes a reading then we have a chat and she takes another reading at the end of the appointment. My numbers are much better the second time.

cliveva, TheFatControlleR and Geren like this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

You have my sympathy, I find the only thing that works for me is to cut out booze and reduce my food intake both for a few days. I have my own BP monitor and take it regularly.

I am not fond of BP tests either - ever since I was walking down Lyme high street about 18 months ago I got dragged into a pop-up BP clinic run by the local Rotary and a charming nurse took my BP (fine) and then she said she would take my pulse, detected an irregularity that ended up with me being on Warfarin for the rest of my life! Bloody nuisance but it may save my life at some stage I suppose.

Catriona likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I find a second reading after a few minutes tends to be lower, possibly a mixture of white coat syndrome and my feeling that my BP is slow to damp down after movement now. I even suffer white coat syndrome when I use my own monitor at home!:(

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I resign myself to the fact my bp will be whatever it is. No use worrying about it. It'll be interesting what mine will be like now my short skirt wearing, attractive GP has emigrated. :oops:

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I am just immensely grateful that I still have a BP. Any BP.

8. Catriona

I note what you all say and it's a relief in a way not to be alone in this!
    I do try relaxing before going in. I even get there early after walking there, so that I can sit quietly and meditate - or read.

I do recall many many years ago a doctor telling me I had 'thick' blood and I often wonder if that doesn't help. He was a bit concerned about it at the time, but nothing came of it, since he left the practice to do private work related to flying!

I suppose I don't HAVE to take the increased dose even if I'm prescribed it - so long as that dose is taken twice a day and not in one fell swoop! I feel slow and dopey enough after my morning pill taking.

9. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Tell them you do have white coat syndrome, I do (tell them and have it). The nurse does do the test, then sits for 5-6 minutes engaging in small talk, going over the other details of the MOT, then do the BP again and it is invariably lower. That and breathing exercises in the waiting room, bring down the heart rate too. ;)

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Sometimes my doctor will take 2 or more readings to let it settle down. I have to take 3 different BP tablets a day. Although I understand why you don't want an increased dose, I don't think it is wise to try to cover up your true BP. If you need a higher dose, take it, if your current pill makes you drowsy ask to switch.

Not what you want to hear!

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

OK then. I'll try to be calm. I'll tell them the moment that cuff goes on, I'm fighting it. My aches and pains are making me grouchy at the moment and a bit concerned. If I didn't know better (?) I'd think I had flu.
    I guess I've been lucky to date. I got away with refusing statins, although my cholesterol level is high and is already causing my gallbladder problems with sludge! I've been on the same dose for about 20 years, so I can't really complain if I need a higher dose now. I've already well outlived my parents, so my guardian angel must be up there, laughing!

Will let you know after Tuesday!

Zou likes this.
  12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I was summoned for my annual MOT a couple of weeks ago. Blood test at the hospital and blood pressure at the surgery. Why they couldn't do both at the same time and place I don't know. The hospital said I'd hear in a few days if anything was wrong. I've heard nothing so assume all is okay. BP test result was instant, of course, and surprising good for my age. Nurse said she wished hers was the same! I don't drink alcohol but do smoke a pipe and somewhat overweight.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Avoid reading newspapers.

Cheers,

R.

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Mine is always higher in the surgery than at home. I have a monitor I bought, and test at home. The monitor has a memory, and the GP looks at that when I take it in. They still test, but if the in-surgery test is within the normal in-surgery results, they accept the home testing. I know a few people who do this, so it may be worth talking to your GP about.

There are ways to 'game' your BP readings at home, but I'm not sure how helpful those are, if mine is high at home when self testing, then I want it looked at anyway.

But first thing in the morning before you get out of bed is a good time to get a low reading.

Personally, I wouldn't refuse statins, they've helped me a great deal.

Catriona likes this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In my case, the diuretics and smoking/hospital-stress balance out - last time it was measured was my annual nephrologst visit last week and it was 123/78 iirc, which I was informed is normal. :)

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Mine is 'within normal' for non-diabetic folk, but sadly, I'm diabetic, which means it's 'out of range'. Also, it was 'within range' for about 6 years, and then the Government changed the range. My blood pressure hasn't changed really over the last 10 years or so, but the target has.

Literally, moved the goal posts (I know it was based on sound medical research, but still).

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I was about to say similar. There's not much point in "cheating" to get a good reading because if your BP is wrong it need treating.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. Catriona

Well my last reading was 190/90 so well outside acceptable limits. If it is less this time, I will be happier! I used to manage about 130/78 or thereabouts. Now I'm older, slimmer, not working much less stress and my BP is worse than ever!

19. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I suffer from what the medics call "white coat syndrome". If I have my BP taken at a GP surgery or hospital clinic, it always reads high. I knew that and the docs/nurses knew that. Apparently it is very common.

The answer was to fit me with a 24-hour BP monitor. That showed that, averaged over a 24-hour period with not a white coat in sight, my reading was well within acceptable limits at 130/70.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've been with the same practice for decades, and when they had an Aussie practitioner looking after me, it was quite pro-active.- MoTs etc., statins until after a mere 6 weeks I complained that I could no longer write properly, and even using a keyboard was getting impossible. He took me off statins, returned to Australia, and now I get called in once a year for a flu jab, and a short time ago, a jab to help prevent shingles. Certainly no BP tests, and no regular medication. I'm now 79 and overweight, and I easily get out of breath, but for me, that's normal.

Catriona likes this.