1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi newbie in need of help

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Minden69, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Minden69

Minden69 Member

hi new to the forum no nothing about cameras lol so am looking to start basicly what I am after is a camera for my fishing catch pics until now all I have used is my iPhone 6 with a small remote fob does the job but pics are not great so I am looking for a camera to do the job don't really think I need a top of the range one just one with a remote fob and a flip round screen so I can see what I am taking this I would say are my only requirements can anyone advise of a cheap ish maybe entry level camera that would suit also all I have to retrieve pictures and download to is an apple MacBook Pro.
    Any help advise or links to cameras would be appreciated thank you

Lee

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Your iPhone 6 is capable of capturing excellent pictures, so the first thing for us to understand is what you feel isn't great (a better camera may not help). Can you share some pics and describe the things you think are wrong?

3. Minden69

Minden69 Member

Here's a pic taken with iPhone seems a bit colorless and not very crisp it is taken using the front camera (selfie mode) not a bright day though IMG_3286.JPG

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

If you can use the forward facing camera I believe the resolution is higher. It should be more than capable on a steady support/tripod. Your image above is hazy due to the full range of blacks and whites not being used by the cameras processing. It is also out of focus slightly. Whether that is camera movement or poor focusing I'm not sure. Does the phone have a self timer on the forward facing camera?

ppppp.jpg

5. Minden69

Minden69 Member

Hi yes it has a self timer but I used a remote fob your re post of my pic looks far better lol and the phone was clamped in a mini phone tripod

6. Craig20264

Just a bit of teasing out of what's already there in Photoshop. My advice would be to give the forward facing camera a go . I think it's 8Mp against only 1.2Mp of the rear facing camera. That should help a lot. Get it nice and solid, and use the timer.

Nice Common by the way. I'll have a stab at 16lb?

Minden69 likes this.
  7. Minden69

Minden69 Member

Ok when you say forward facing camera are you saying have the screen facing me or have the back of the phone facing me

8. Minden69

Minden69 Member

Had a play with what's on my phone does this look better IMG_3283.JPG

9. Craig20264

You need the back of the phone facing you. This will point the better camera at you.

Minden69 likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Craig's cover the main technical issues. If you find you can't use the normal iPhone camera (i.e. the one on the back of the phone), then almost any camera you buy for ~£200 will give you better photos than the selfie camera on the iPhone. So I suggest walking into any shop with cameras, and just finding the first one that has the features you need - there are so many in that price range it would be futile to suggest one. Go for a Panasonic Lumix, Canon, Nikon or Sony (I'd go with Sony or Panasonic Lumix in the compact camera market) and you won't go wrong.

Craig20264 and Roger Hicks like this.