1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Leicester

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by kissingdragon, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Hi folks.

I have been reading this forumn for a few weeks now and have finally joined. I am new to photography but am learning fast. I hope to be able to gain valuable experience from you all on here.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hi there :)

Care to share what you are shooting with?

Any particular area of photography you chasing? Landscape, street etc?

3. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Hi and thank you for the reply.

I've not long taken up the dark art and have been playing around with some landscape shots in order to learn about exposure, iso, shutter speeds etc... All the things most on here probably know off by heart. I hace a few pics that I will post on here for some construtive critisism once I have built up thw courage ... :)
    I'm looking to try some street shots but sticking to safer environments at the moment.

4. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Oh and I'm currently shooting with a Nikon d5000 a nikon 35mm f1.8 prime and a tamron 70mm - 300mm run of the mill lens.

5. P_Stoddart

That is quite a good camera. Surely you have the kit lens? 18-55mm?

Quite a few Nikon users around so no problem on support on here.

Do you feel you have any images to post in the Appraisal Gallery so we can see where you are in the craft? :D

6. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

I do have a kit lens but rarely use it. I have some pictures but not sure how to copy them onto here as yet.

7. P_Stoddart

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome
    It is a dangerus thing SLR cameras, ones they get you there is no turning back ;)

9. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Don't I know it... I'm looking to upgrade and waiting for the D7000 to hopefully drop in price a llittle before I take the leap. I have to say that I am a huge fan of Bradgate park and have been lucky to be able to shoot some pics of deer and waterfalls in the same location.

10. P_Stoddart

D7000 is very good camera using a new 16MP sensor from Sony. Very low light performance.

According to Prof Bob Newman who gives technical advise to AP magazine.

If you shoot raw you can under expose and still lift a image post shooting. :)

He showed this in a article 30/04/2010 Called "The death of ISO"

11. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Thank you for that... I will have a read of it... :) There is so much to learn... I have managed to add a pic on the appraisals section but worried I'll get shot down...

12. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Also... Is the move from the D5000 to the D7000 a big enough jump? Would I be better looking at the D300 0r the D700?

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums kissingdragon.

What part of Leicester you from? Used to an old stomping ground of mine back in the 80s!

14. P_Stoddart

D300 and D700 are classed by the gods of Nikon as pro cameras. :D

As shown by link below:

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/p...=Professional&Subnav3Param=0&RunQuery=l3&ID=0

D7000 is next gen technology plus a model up because there is a D5100 out there.

But some class the D7000 as semi-pro body. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Don't worry- I damn near soiled my undies when I posted my first shot last September I was bloody proud of it (or I wouldn't have even considered posting it) simply because it was the first time I'd got a shot in manual that came out like I'd sorta hoped...walked away from that experience understanding when one has a perfect target one should also look all around the shot (and if I can clone that green bush out I may still have something good) but no one has been nasty and I have learnt a lot from them

16. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

Hi Fen.

I'm from Oadby but have lived in leicester all my life so know most of it all fairly well... What parts do you know?

17. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

LesleySM.

Thanks for the post. I know just how you felt ... Your right everyone has been a star so far and I have already learn't so much... I understand the theory but it'sthe practice and experience that I lack... I've had some great feedback so far and long may it continue :D

18. kissingdragon

kissingdragon Member

P_S...

Thanks again for that info and the link. I think I have made my mind up on the D7000 to be honest .. I just couldn't justify the jump tp the pro cameras just yet :)

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I know the Wigston/Oadby area, went out with a girl from Houghton On The Hill once. Used to do a lot of cycling all of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire so know lots of places around there. Must be a good 25+ years since I was around there though.

20. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The D7000 is a great camera, and uses the excellent Sony IMX071 sensor, probably the best APS-C sized sensor available. If it feels comfortable in your hands, you probably can't do better for anything like the money.