1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Hi' from Dorset

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by mikebeecham, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

Hi guys,

The forums have been recommended to me, so thought I would register and come say hello!

I'm a very new and very amateur photographer from Dorset, after buying my first DSLR at Christmas. I've ended up spending a little money since then on various things, but now I have a Canon 600D, with a couple of kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm), as well as a Canon 50mm f1.4 USM. I'm still at the stage of not being totally sure what I'm doing in any given situation or what settings to get the camera into (usually live in Av!), but I'm sure it'll all come with time!

Anyway, hopefully I'll spend some time getting to know you all, if there's anything you want to know then just ask!

Cheers...and hello!

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the AP Forums :)

Blimey... Another Mike from Dorset... let's hope he doesn't tell jokes as bad as DorsetMike's! :D

3. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

Hi mate,

I really cant comment on whether my jokes will be any better or worse than 'DorsetMike', but when I've gotten my feet under the table a little I might break a punchline or two out!

Thanks for the welcome.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Fen's just jealous cos he don't know any jokes.

5. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

Ha!

Good to meet you Dorset_Mike...and I love your part of Dorset. Drive there often, as we have friends who own a beach hut on the child-friendly part of Studland, not far from the National Trust cafe.

Still not been up Corfe Castle yet tho...

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome Mike :)

Fen they can always have their own forum section if more turn up. :p

7. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

...and you could name it 'The South'

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello from Devon, Mike, and welcome to the AP forums!

Nothing wrong with Av, gives you control of Depth of Field. Just keep an eye on what it's doing with the shutter speed and ISO.

Are you into landscapes at all? I seem to remember some lovely rolling downs around Gillingham.

9. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

Hi Alex,

I'm surrounded by the things...all of them gorgeous and makes me wish I had money for a very decent landscape lens. I'm hoping that I can pull off some decent shots with my 50mm prime and then do whatever needs to be done in Lightroom.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Yeah, would be full of cups of weak tea and Ale without a head ;) :D

11. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

Oh, you SO did not just go there!!!

ill have you know that I've got every coffee-making facility you can think of, in order to make that 'just strong enough' brew!

so, bring it!

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Hi Mike and a Warm Welcome from Me :cool: (I have been up to Corfe Castle. I worked at Wytch Farm for a wee while).

Bl00dy Grockles :rolleyes:

13. AlexMonro

Well, the wide end of your 18-55 could make a start on some of the landscapes. Av f/8 or f/11 should probably get you to the better performing area of the lens. If you've got any money left, you could try to get hold of a circular polarising filter. See Cambridge in Colour tutorial here. I believe the Canon 18-55 takes 58mm filters.

14. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

15. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.

Looks like you are well on your way from looking at your taste in gear :rolleyes:

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, welcome along.

17. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Member

Thanks mate, but it looks like I'm well on my way to bankrupting myself :) my new shiny hobby seems to be a bit of a money pit!

18. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It is and it never stops... :rolleyes: Well that said I am not to bad at the moment got my gear more or less up to standards... That EF 70-200 f4 L IS does look realy good.;)

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes, it's amazing how much they charge for a couple of tubes and some glass :)

20. AlexMonro

You have reached the first step on the path to photographic enlightenment. :)