1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from a 40 year old student!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by dawkinsben, Mar 17, 2019 at 11:46 AM.

1. dawkinsben

dawkinsben New Member

Hi all! I'm Ben. I was a member here for a while years ago but forget my old username so thought it would be nice to start afresh. I've been into photography since a teenager on and off, and mainly enjoy photographing architecture using film cameras.

I'm currently a student of Art History having left full-time employment in 2017. As part of that I have really enjoyed studying the history of photography and am now deciding on a dissertation topic for next year, possibly in connection with pre-photography or its invention. Not sure yet?

I hope to visit regularly and be able to both share and learn from this community. Best wishes, Ben.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done and welcome back.
    Good luck with your studies. My late hubby also studied Art History (after his maths etc etc) - but it was a shame, although he passed the course well, he found it extremely irritating and narrow. Must have been the OU writers!
    Look forward to hearing how you are getting on and seeing some of your work. If you scan the threads, you'll see we have one for a monthly competition. Very informal - no prizes, but lots of pictures, chat and fun.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. There's no age limit on study :). I suppose the tag in my day "mature student" is now ageist or banned because it expresses the immaturity of others.

4. dawkinsben

dawkinsben New Member

Thanks both! Absolutely agree on the 'no age limit'. As long as it feels like the right time to do it, then age doesn't matter. I'm loving being a student at the moment!

Will look out for the monthly competition. Sounds like good fun!