1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi all..

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Mandy Worrall, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

Hi everyone. Just joined and am hoping to learn more about photography from the people in this group. I live in Essex and am completely and utterly clueless when it comes to the technical side of photography and in fact have so far only been taking my photographs on my phone!! However, rightly or wrongly I have been led to believe by people around me and further afield that I have a good eye for an image and so i'm saving for a decent camera (recommendations would be very welcome). I guess i'm looking at an entry level Nikon or similar. I may be a daydreamer but hoping to make a small business out of photography in the future and planning to get onto a course in 2017 to put some knowledge to my creativity. Right now I have been concentrating largely on rural and coastal landscapes but would like to try some urban photography. I also enjoy cheating and using software to give my photos a 'painted look'. Yes I know this is likely frowned upon but I have produced some artwork for my home using this method and I find it fun. I also home educate my son who has high functioning autism and this hobby and creativity is starting to rub off on him and he is showing an interest which is fabulous. I will, if the site will accept my low quality images post a few of my recent photographs and i'd really appreciate some feedback and advice (please bare in mind my lack of equipment at present!) .. thank you.. I look forward to reading your posts... Mandy

2. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi Mandy, welcome to the forum :)

3. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

Thank you Lisa :)

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forums, from the WeT (and, now, snowy) Coast of Canada :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

Hi Jack and thank you... I will be watching the documentary later this evening for sure.. Thanks so much. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the snow!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Hello Mandy. Welcome aboard.
    It used to be simple giving an equipment suggestion to someone expressing an interest in an entry level Nikon. However now we are in possibley another state of transition betwen DSLRs and mirrorless. I will leave that topic for another time.
    As for manipulation, or should that be creativity, by software; that is a matter of context.
    For news reportage it is a strict non no .Indeed Reuters now insist that submissions should be totally unmanipulated out of camera jpegs. For artistic photography anything goes, and quite rightly.
    Take those two assertions together and I seem to have made a case for Raw + jpeg, just in case we take a newsworthy image.That again is a topic for other rooms of the forum. For now just welcome aboard and enjoy making photographs.
    Regards John.
    PS The latest Christmas issue of AP, received today by subscribers, includes some images made with phone cameras. One of such even by our editor Nigel Atherton.

7. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

8. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

Hi John and thanks...

I hear what you say about news reportage... and I guess that goes without saying when factual images are concerned. Right now i'm all about creativity as I explore the world around me through my camera (or phone haha) but I also understand that later, if I can progress with this there are written (and unwritten) rules to be followed. Will be looking at a subscription to AP for sure and would be interested to see the images taken with phones. Thanks for the advice and your kind welcome.... Mandy

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi again Mandy,

I just reread your post and, hopefully, your son does pick up on and take off with the photography. :)
    I just a page that you might find interesting if, of course, you're not already familiar it … a young autistic man who does photography who lives in
    America.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing some photos from, both, yourself and your son :)

Jack

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi Mandy, and welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with using your phone - I use mine a lot based on the idea that hte best camera is the one you have on you, and occasionally, I don't want to be bothered carting a big DSLR with me! However, learning to use a 'proper' camera (and I'm not limiting that definition to DSLRs before anyone jumps on that!) puts the control firmly in your hands which means you can really put your creative juices to good use.

I also have a child on the Autistic Spectrum. He wasn't remotely interested in photography but found his own outlets and is now at university studying accounting and corporate finance. If it weren't for the fact that he looks a lot like me, I'd have cause to wonder if we were even related! He did have a creative streak and spent endless hours when he was younger designing a space city that expanded over several hundred sheets of A4 paper. I think it was relaxing for him to sit and work it all out. Whatever they need, I suppose?! I do not have a diagnosis of any sort but I do suffer dreadful anxiety and depression, and always feel incredibly awkward in company, but for some reason it all melts away the minute I get a camera in my hands. There's something about concentrating down a viewfinder that puts everything else to the back of your mind and allows you to be in the moment, so I hope you and your son continue to enjoy it!

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Mandy, and another welcome!

If you've got an eye for a picture, that's the important thing. The technicalities can be learned at a pace and to a level that you feel comfortable with. And a phone camera that's with you takes a lot better pictures than a top of the range DSLR you've left at home because it's too big and heavy!

As to camera recommendations, personally, I'm fond of Pentax DSLRs - the weather sealing is reassuring, and they're good at compatibility with old lenses - but what's good for me might not be what's best for you. If something smaller, lighter, and easier to carry wight be better for you, there are several very good Compact System Cameras (CSCs) that have interchangeable lenses, but use the sensor and LCD instead of the optical viewfinder of a DSLR - this makes them smaller and lighter, but perhaps not quite so good for fast moving subjects - not so much of a problem for landscapes. There are also a number of high quality compact cameras, with non-interchangeable lenses and larger sensors than the typical point and shoot, which can give very good results under many conditions, though perhaps not quite as good as a top DSLR in difficult lighting.

You might find this tutorial at Cambridge in Colour helpful in understanding some of the basic pros & cons, but it's a bit old, sodoesn't have much to say about CSCs:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/compact-vs-digital-slr-cameras.htm

Do please post some of your pictures to the Appraisal Gallery (see the "HOW TO POST IMAGES..." post at the top for notes on doing this) for critique, comments, & suggestions.

Above all, have fun!

13. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

Hi, my son is only 9 at the moment so who knows what he will end up doing. Its fantastic that your son is at university...what a great achievement. I understand the anxiety... have suffered for many years with it but under reasonable control now but leading a stressful life I definitely feel photography is a good form of therapy for me and understand how you feel it helps. It is definitely a good release for me although sometimes I have the little guy along with me so hard to get totally in the zone hence hoping he continues to take an interest so that he has his focus also :)

14. Mandy Worrall

Mandy Worrall Member

Thanks Alex. I will definitely have a look at the tutorial.

15. Done_rundleCams

16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

17. Done_rundleCams

No problem, Lynn, glad you liked it and I, finally, remembered to post it :)

Cheers,

Jack