1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi all

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by nps, Dec 29, 2012.

1. nps

nps Well-Known Member

im confused reading all that lol, good job ive read about it on the net so i do know what your saying even though someone like me who hasnt looked about round the net would be well confused

(i know what ya mean about depth of field though)

cheers chaps for the explanation! im trying all the time to look round the net for help/advice but its a minefield trying to understand what all the terms mean

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi nps,

I think the best advice I could give you (now) is to find an entry level (digital) photography course so that you can learn all about the numbers we've been spewing forth -- "shutter speeds, apertures/f-stops, ISO?ASA's, focal lengths, DOF, etc ...." -- and, most importantly, how they all work together to, in theory anyway, give you the pictures you envision :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. nps

nps Well-Known Member

jack the last thing i want is an other digi cam! IMO they are rubbish thats why im after something like the k30, if i dont use it to its full potential because i dont understand all the controls im pretty sure it will take better pics in auto mode than a digi cam will,

Im thinking that if i pay about £400/£450 for a cam for my month away while getting married the cam will take some very nice pics that i can treasure for life (if i get a digi cam and they turn out crap then im knackered) and if i get into taking pics then ive a lovely camera that will start me off. does that make sense

4. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

It's hard trying to explain something when you don't know if the other person knows what you are talking about lol. At least you know about depth of field and the relationship between that and apertures. The mechanics of photography is pretty easy to understand once you've grasped the fundamentals.

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I think what Jack is saying is "buy whatever camera suits you and use it exclusively on auto everything - you'll get good results in most circumstances without having to know why"

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi NPS and Thornrider,

Nope, what I'm saying (to NPS), after the K-30 (or other camera has been purchased), is to: "take an entry level (digital) photography course so that you can learn all about the numbers we've been spewing forth -- "shutter speeds, apertures/f-stops, ISO?ASA's, focal lengths, DOF, etc ...." -- and, most importantly, how they all work together to, in theory anyway, give you the pictures you envision"

that way you got all the 'know how' (like me, in theory) and, as I tell customers, "once you know the rules, you can start to bend/break them and do things the way you want to" :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. nps

nps Well-Known Member

sorry jack i miss read your post :eek: ye mate i think i might have a few lessons

now its getting a bit close to buying one Im getting a bit scared lol just thinking about getting on with the lens, ie with the other cameras i have had (sony cybershots mainly) you just pressed the button and it zoomed and focused at the same time but from now on (if i buy the k30) ill have to zoom then focus

does that sound like a daft fear lol lol

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Put the K30 in live view and auto mode and the only difference will be that you zoom by turning the ring on the lens rather than pressing buttons - you'll soon find that gives you more control anyway!

It's generally better to use the viewfinder though. It's clearer and makes it easier to hold the camera steady.

I know what you mean about pre-purchase anxiety though. I was looking at a lens that's on sale in a local camera shop last week. I couldn't bring myself to buy it then, I have to make myself go back next week. I tell myself that if someone else hasn't bought it by then, it's a sign from the gods that I'm meant to have it! :)

9. nps

nps Well-Known Member

;) pmsl i never thought of that lol must be trying to take in too much info at a time

cheers mate thats made me feel 100times better

10. nps

nps Well-Known Member

Ive just gone and clicked the link to buy the K30 with WR lens and its no longer there :-(

11. AlexMonro

The current best deal seems to be from UK Digital Cameras, at 499.99. I think you've got another 3 days until the £50 cashback offer expires.

12. nps

nps Well-Known Member

well after missing out on the promo prices Ive gone and ordered the K30 £499 with a 2 year warranty and a screen protector, just glad i could order it today to qualify for the £50 cash back

oh ye and thats with the 18-55 WR lens

thanks for all your help peeps

13. AlexMonro

Glad that's finally sorted. Hope it arrives soon, then you can start taking pictures (well, after charging the battery & skimming through the manual! :))

Then we can look forward to you posting some pictures...

14. nps

nps Well-Known Member

think i need to read up some more on the f numbers and the iso before i start posting pics :)

15. AlexMonro

You might find some of these tutorials helpful:

Cambridge in Colour
    Ron Bigelow
    Photoxels
    Luminous Landscape

Some of the tutorials on those sites cover fairly advanced topics, so don't worry if you don't understand all of it at once, but there's some good coverage of the basics too.

16. nps

nps Well-Known Member

ive saved the links Alex so i can read them later, cheers mate