1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi all

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by nps, Dec 29, 2012.

1. nps

nps Well-Known Member

This site has been recommended to me by Rhys, I'm looking to buy a new camera but dont know much about them at the mo so Rhys told me to head over here because its a vast pit of knowledge

the camera I have decided on is the Pentax K30. well for the moment anyway :)

2. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Ay up :)

Before anyone starts mentioning D3's and 1Ds's there is a budget involved and the K30 is at the top of it.

Anyways, welcome along :)

3. nps

nps Well-Known Member

ayup mate

ye i should have said that my limit is £450!!!!!

4. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Hey NPS, a big welcome!

OK leaving out the 1Ds option, you could think of the
    Canon EOS 600D DSLR Camera with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens. It's a good middle of the range camera which your probably not going to grow out of as your photography improves. Amazon currently are selling these at £425 inc. delivery. My sister has one and I have spent several hours playing with it (the camera not my sister obviously). It handles well, menu system is very intuitive, all the buttons seem to be placed well, image quality great and the video very good.

At the end of the day it's what works for you.

Regards
    Ian

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

7. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome..............

8. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Welcome nps :)
    As you are here the AP review of the Pentax K-30 can be found here
    For the AP review comparison facility see here.

I would advise compiling a shortlist and then going to the shops and trying them out - see what suits you :)

9. nps

nps Well-Known Member

10. nps

nps Well-Known Member

cheers mark ill have a look, im just working my way round the site/forum

could do with a like and thanks button to press

11. nps

nps Well-Known Member

looks like the k30 wins the 600d or am i getting that wrong? told you i know nothing lol am only learning

12. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.

13. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

According to a side by side comparison here the Pentax is better in spec - and even has a 100% viewfinder.

Jack, what do you think ;)

14. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

In the AP review - as with some others - the Pentax K-30 scored more highly than the Canon 600D. However 'scores', as with pixel counts etc., are not everything. As I say take recommendations, make a shortlist, handle the cameras and then make your decision :)

Rhys I believe that it's too early for Jack - shall we start taking bets... ;)

15. nps

nps Well-Known Member

i will mate ive a little book with some details in it lol

wish there was a 'like' button to let everyone know ive read their post

16. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Oh aye, give him time to wake up and have a few coffees :D

17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

[HR][/HR]I have a 600D an can recomend it, but that Pentax looks realy good on paper definetly worth a good look to see if real life is the same.

18. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

welcome to the forums.

19. nps

nps Well-Known Member

cheers mediaman

gonna go out for a look next weekend hopefully

20. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Welcome to the AP forums, nps!

I really like the K30 - I've been trying to work out if I can scrape enough pennies together to get one as an upgrade from my K20D. However, before I'd recommend it to you, I'd like to know a bit more about the types of photography that most interest you - landscapes, portraits, sports etc.

I'm mainly into landscapes, and I think the K30 would be great for that - weatherproof, 100% viewfinder, focus peaking for manual focus, and good dynamic range. However, for sports and action photography, I think there might be other cameras with better autofocus performance, which is more important for that type of work.

Also, I would suggest that before you make your final decision, get to a camera shop where you can try out several cameras to see which feels best for you. The size of the camera, placement of controls, style of menus etc. are all very personal things, and important to how comfortable you feel in using the camera long term.