1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi all,a real newbie here

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by tjwest, Apr 19, 2011.

1. tjwest

tjwest New Member

I am so new I have just bought my first 'real camera', and that doesn't arrive until Thursday. So I am spending next couple of days trying to learn some real basics from you experts. and look forward to becoming an active member of the forum

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, great to see you here. Any questions at all don't hesitate to ask, the only daft question is one that goes unasked. :)

3. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Hi and welcome to the forums :D

What sort of camera have you ordered?

Cheers

4. MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky Well-Known Member

Hi, good to have you on board - there are some basic tutorials in the Beginner's Corner forum to get you started and don't hesitate to ask questions 24/7 :D

5. tjwest

tjwest New Member

What sort of camera have you ordered?

Cheers

thanks for the welcome

I have ordered a Nikon D3100 as it seems to be a decent entry choice for beginners (i hope!), and a decent price with the wifes tesco discount & £40 cashback from Nikkon, allin body & lens kit came to £386,

is this camera ok to start with?

6. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Any camera is good to start with and your one has a Guide mode :)

If your completely new to a DSLR, have a look at this simple tutorial told in picture form - although it's by Canon, it applies to all types of digital cameras. Well worth a look :)

Click me...

Read all about how good your choice was...

...you're OK, it scored 9/10 :cool:

7. tjwest

tjwest New Member

thanks for the info

trouble is i can't blame the camera now!!!

8. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi TJ,

welcome aboard ! :eek:

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome on here :)

Yeah, you can do photography with pretty much any camera.

But down the line most people start wanting to take control. This camera lets you do just that.

One thing you can do is go on Flickr website and search for the Nikon D3100 see what other photographers have been able to make it do. You may be aware that all digital images now carry the settings of the camera at press of the button called EXIF data. You can take a peek in some cases on Flickr of the settings used for the shot including the the lens.

But there is tons of help on here from Nikon and other users of dSLRs etc. Not to mention help in the Appraisal Gallery on possible tweaks etc.

Love the buzz of a new camera. :D

10. tjwest

tjwest New Member

Thanks for the tip
    I had a look at flickr as you suggested and was really impressed with the images that were coming from this camera. so am looking forward to getting started.

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Or 86% in the AP review, just that little extra finesse in the rating system over TR ;) :)

Welcome aboard TJ :D

12. HKChainey

HKChainey Member

thought i would say hi to, i am also new to the forum. I'm wanting to be a professional wedding photographer so just thought forums are probs the best way to get some hints and tips, especially with my camera as sometimes i can get confused :p look forward to being on here more :)

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

A very warm welcome to you too, enjoy the forum :)