1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Graphics card choice for use with Adobe CC

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by HewettG, Apr 13, 2017.

1. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

Help!!!!

I am looking to replace my GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB) as it is faulty (keep getting black screens). I am a bit of a novice to all of this and really don't know where to start.

My descktop pc was built by Chillblast and has an Intel Core i7 4790K Overclocked processor (4.4GHz), an Asus Z97-A Motherboard - Haswell CPU only, 16GB RAM. I also have dual monitors (Monitor 1 Asus ProArt 1920x1200 Full HD 24.1" / Montior 2 Asus 23" IPS widescreen)

The PC is used mainly for Photo editing and some video editing using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop (video=Hitfilm 4 Express). I also play a few games such as Civ4, Sins of a Solar Empire, EuroTruck Sim2 and Witcher3.

I have been looking at 1050 Ti and potentially RX480 cards with a budget of approx £200. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I think any midrange ATI or NVIDIA card would he fine with Adobe CC. For games more is better but then again is the 100 Frames at max detail and shadows worth it over the 50-60 frames at almost max... I guess checking the dual screen capabilities and the connections you need for your screens is the thing to look out for.
    Out of the two you mentioned then the Radion RX480 is a much better card so if price is the same then that is the one to go for based on speed alone.

3. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

I have now been told by my local camera store that I will need a 1060 6GBcard as a minimum if I want to edit 4K. They also told me that I cannot use the RX range as I have an Intel i7 chip. Apparently the RX range are for AMD CPU only.

4. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

I have just realised, this thread is probaly in the wrong forum. It should have been posted in the
    Technical Discussions section. I will repost to this section.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know anything much about graphics cards. I'd have thought any card from a good manufacturer would do. I know monitors for gaming should be avoided because everything that makes them good for gaming is bad for stills editing where stability is key and speed of no concern. Whether "fast" graphics cards give less stable colours when broadcasting a fixed signal I don't know. Video editing I have no clue.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No point. It is as easily seen here, many people just use the new posts function rather than click through the sub forums. Duplicate posts end up confusing folk.

7. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

Thanks, I have an ASUS PROART monitor which is designed for photography / video editing.

8. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

Too late, allready done :)

9. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

If you budget can stretch to £215 then you can get https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evg...hics-card-1280-core-1607mhz-gpu-1835mhz-boost.
    If this is too much then the 3GB GTX 1060 is available from about £170 https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb.
    Either should be be faster and more future proof than the 1050i or RX480 at similar prices.

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

11. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

Thanks. Do you think a 1050Ti will handle 4K video editing? I won't be doing much video editing anyway and moving up to a 1060 card is a bit of a jump in price. Would it be worth the extra?

12. HewettG

HewettG Active Member

13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I use a Rx card on intel system and never had any problems. Mine is a rx380 and the chip is i5. But it would be very stupid of ati not to have the cards compatable with intel... I must admit I find this to be strange claim from the store.