1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me please, I have no clue!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Sharoninnes1973, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Hi,

I tend to just take pics with my phone when out and about but I have a 10 year old Olympus point and shoot type thing that I want to get back into using and I am looking for some help. I have no idea about how to frame a picture, what all the scene mode things do, the different way to focus etc. The things I like to photograph are, landscapes/views, pets, jewellery/craft makes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information that can help explain all this?

Thanks in advance

Sharon

2. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

One of the best places to start would be to look at cambridge in colour Apart from doing searches and asking on here of course but CinC has everything from absolute basics through to far more advanced subjects.

Sharoninnes1973 likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

if you know the model of your Olympus point and shoot you can google it and see if there is an online manual or even a youtube video explaining how it all works. Without knowing anything about the specific camera it's a bit difficult to say! As for framing...well, you have to simply take the time to see what you have in the frame and learn to look at the edges of the picture and take note of what's really there and not just what you think is!

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Look up the rule of thirds, it is the way painters build up the scene in a picture. Using that as a guide will help you compose stronger and more interesting pictures. Don't over think it and take lot's of pictures but as soon as you know you will start to look out for things and your pictures will improve.

Just a thought, check if your camera will let you put on a grid over the frame two vertical and two horizontal lines. If you can turn that on and try to keep the interesting bits on the lines and if there is something really important, try getting that on one of the spots the lines meet.

5. Hi All,

Thanks for your advice, I've downloaded the online manual, looked at some photography videos on you tube. Bookmarked Cambridge in colour, got a lot of reading to do. Taking Mum's dog for a walk tomorrow and I'll try the camera again tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

Sharon

Geren likes this.
  6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Good luck

7. thanks

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Sharon,

Just take pictures.

Look at the ones you like, and try to work out why.

The Final Analysis column in AP may (or may not) help with working out why. So might Composition on my web-site. Or it might not.,

Cheers,

R.

Learning likes this.
  9. It did actually, thanks

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Sharon,

Thanks!

Cheers,

R.

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Then stick one or two at a time in Appraisals and we'll see what we can suggest. Be sure to say what you're trying to achieve, so we won't go assuming you want to win competitions, if you only want to improve your snaps.

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Isn't "snaps" a bit dismissive?

Cheers,

R,

13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Actually no, as Some one that actually did put some snaps in the Appraisal gallery and got great feedback (and there was not much praise there...) I remember when the things put up changed from being just snaps to being photographs... Don't get me wrong snaps are fun but good photos are even more so, maybe one day I will be able to take few good ones..,

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't really get the difference between "snaps" and "photographs". A good few years ago, there was an article in one of the American magazines where they took a whole pile of "snaps" cropped them a bit and did some contrast adjustments. The results were quite impressive. Inside every snap, you might say, there's a photograph waiting to get out.

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Sure. I just wondered why Mike felt the need to call them "snaps" instead of "photographs".

You can see quite a lot of my snaps on http://rogerandfrances.eu/ and http://www.rogerandfrances.com/.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I take a lot of snaps. Sometimes i'm really chuffed that they look like a photo that i'd planned!

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I think you've answered your own question there. ;)

18. RovingMike

No, it is one end of a spectrum. I selected win competitions as the (hopefully realistic) other. I have not seen what the OP wants to do and they have not said.

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Good Lord! We employ very different vocabularies and spectra.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. RovingMike

So do I when I'm not trying to be helpful and realistic.