1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Kamala Peura, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Kamala Peura

Kamala Peura New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not new to photography. Closing in on three years now I have been doing photography, only using one beat up, old camera (Nikon D3100), and the kit lens (18-55mm). Nice to meet you all.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Enjoy it! Taking photos is the important bit. The more the merrier.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

By the standards of many Forum members, a Nikon 3100 is not an old camera. As long as it works and does what you need, consider spending any spare funds on secondhand lenses so that you can use it to its full potential. If you want to do this, this is also a good place for suggestions about secondhand lenses and where to buy them.

Have fun, and consider uploading some of your favourite images to the Gallery page so that we can see what you do (don't forget to resize them to 1000 - 1200 pixels on the longer side first).

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wise words!

7. Kamala Peura

Kamala Peura New Member

Thank you for the welcomes. And I do agree the camera may not be old by most standards haha.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Arguably, this applies to some of the Forum members too. I met a young man this summer who was using a 1950s Kodak Retina rangefinder just like the one an elderly relative loaned me for a few weeks when I was 15 (1971), when I first got interested in serious photography and wanted to find out if I could understand and use a real camera. After we talked about his camera for a few minutes, he told me that he enjoyed using a camera older than he was, but his friends though he was mad. I expect he dreams of owning an old MGB too.