1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Guiri, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Guiri

Guiri Member

Well, last week I developed some fiim (HP5) for the first time in 20+ years. It was because I had treated myslef to a Minolta Dynax for about 20€ and I wanted to see if I still could. The first thing I forgot was that Patterson spirals should be bone dry when winding film and I only managed to get less than half loaded. Secondly 20+-year-old HP5 seems to lose some of its speed:rolleyes:. But I was just happy to get some image on film to prove that the camera was working.
    For my developer and fixer, I chose Foma's D76 equivalent and their dry fixer to keep postage costs down. I also brought a few rolls of FP4 to make some more serious tests-
    Next I'll have to tidy up the storage/darkroom to see if I can also still print:eek: Any hints on printing?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, but I always used to give those spirals a quick blast with a hairdryer before loading them - got them dry, and they seemed to be easier to load when slightly warm.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

4. Guiri

Guiri Member

Thanks for the tips. Now I've got to look for an old hair dryer. Contact prints were always my test strips. Well, I battled through loads of junk and found the enlarger. Removed the dust and, to my surprise, the head still goes up and down. I wonder whether it'll switch on first time. It's a bitsa with a Meopta colour head, bellows and lens carrier from some cheapish brand and joined by a home built base, column and support..

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Sounds like one of Adrian's favourites!

S

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Must be closer to 40 years since I last did wet printing, so I never got my head around this multigrade stuff, which I believe is all you can get these days. I used to mostly use Ilfobrom grade 3, and had a couple of small packets of grade 2 or 5 for when I needed it.

I still remember the magic of when I first saw under the safelight the image emerging on the paper in the dev tray.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I looked into availability of graded papers a few years ago and they were still around from a few suppliers. I would be surprised if that had changed.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ilford VC papers are now probably better than graded, until you get to grade 5, which is no longer available. I do not say this lightly: I was a VERY late adopter of Multigrade.

Cheers,

R.

9. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

The advice about test-stripping is sound. Don't worry about modern papers - they're pretty darn good. Try and be consistent with things like time/temperature when processing your prints to minimise variables and never ever be afraid to ask for advice!

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

You don't really need to worry about time and temperature with papers, as they are developed to completion anyway.

Cheers,

R.

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Oi! I resemble that remark!

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Guiri

Guiri Member

I like the photo's but where asre the carp?;)

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was a word commonly used when I signed up to replace cr@p.

Adrian

14. Guiri

Guiri Member

Well, time for an update; I cleaned uo my darkroom a bit, got hold of a cheap second hand Opemus enlarger and did some wet printing. It's all slowly coming back to me and I even got my old Minolta XG2 out and put some film through it, There's still that magic of seeing the image appear. This could become addictive.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have got to the point where I feel something similar as an A3 print chugs out of a printer:D. Standing up doing wet printing is not really an option for me nowadays, so that is the next-best thing.

16. Guiri

Guiri Member

Sitting down and enlarging always seemed a more relaxed method than standing up. It's an absolute necessity nowadays. I don't know why Youtube videos always feature photographers standing up in the darkroom.

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Where I used to do my printing there was insufficient space to sit down.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Where I used to do my printing there was insufficient space to stand up.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

so who is this c.r@p.com bloke??? ;)