1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello there!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Ackertastic, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Ackertastic

Ackertastic Member

I'm pretty new to photography but bought a Fujifilm FinePix S8200 Digital Camera a while back and have been taking decent pics and enjoying it.

The thing is I take a lot of photo's of my lads footy team but find that action shots are not the best.

Can anyone recommend a camera that would be good for sports action and wildlife photography? like I said I'm a complete novice, not sure what an "SLR" or a "DSLR" is or do I need a specific lens for stuff like that?

Any advice welcomed!

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I can probably guess, but what is it about the action shots you don't like at present, can you share some so we can see the issues?

3. Ackertastic

Ackertastic Member

Hi Tony, at work currently so don't have any with me but they tend to be a bit blurred (especially the football) and not as crisp as i'd like, don't get me wrong I have been quite impressed with some of the shots i've taken but it seems to be a bit random, it could be that as a beginner I don't really know what I'm doing!, I set the camera to "Auto" and click away, it doesn't help that I bought the camera secondhand without a manual!

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

RogerMac likes this.
  5. Ackertastic

Ackertastic Member

I'll check it out, think I need to enrol on a course!

Thanks Tony

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Unfortunately sports photography is one of the most difficult genres to get right both from the personal skill level and the facilities available in camera (particularly the focussing speed of the camera) and you may also have difficulty finding a suitable course. Perhaps the best bet is lots of practice and some advice from us in the appraisal lounge.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Ackertastic

Ackertastic Member

Thanks Roger

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

One thing is easily fixed http://www.fujifilm.com/support/dig...pdf/index/s/finepix_s8200-s8500_manual_en.pdf

A DSLR is an SLR - it acquired a D to distinguish it from film cameras. Single Lens Reflex - means that a mirror is used to send the image from the lens to a viewfinder - the mirror swings out of the way when the shot is taken. In the last couple of years the electronic viewfinder (signal from the sensor) sent either to the rear screen or to a separate viewfinder is improving to the point where they are usable - but optical still has the edge. A DSLR viewfinder has the focussing system in it. Again, until a couple of years ago this was superior to cameras using the sensor to provide focussing information. Top Fuji and and Sony compact system cameras now said to be pretty good for sports action. Lower down the chain there still tends to be some hesitation in acquiring focus on moving subjects. This is probably what you see on your bridge. A compact system camera is a compact camera with interchangeable lenses, usually has the same size sensor as a middle-sized DSLR.

As Roger said - photographing fast action (in sport and wildlife) is testing of equipment. There are cameras optimised for this purpose but they tend to be a bit pricy. The other thing is that the bigger the camera you get (bigger sensor) the bigger the lenses you need to get distance shots.

What is your budget ?

9. Ackertastic

Ackertastic Member

Thanks Pete, I bought my current camera second hand for approx £150, I'm looking at spending £500 and don't mind second hand as long as it's in excellent condition

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If you are taking this seriously you will need at least a short telephoto in addition to the camera body and a £500 budget soon goes out of the window. In your position I would ring up one of the big retailers (try Ffordes or WEX) and discuss what they can do for you. Look for at least 5 frames per second (fps) and make sure they tell you the shutter count as if it is an ex-professional one it may have had a hard life.

11. Ackertastic

Ackertastic Member

Many thanks Roger