1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from the Netherlands ..

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Seb, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Seb

Seb New Member

Hi, my name is Seb. Currently based in the Netherlands, I've been taking photos with my phone for a few years but last year decided to move up a level. So, I sold a guitar and bought a fuji X-T10 along with some prime lenses and took up a hobby that I first dabbled with before the kids, mortgage and hair loss took hold. I post mainly on Instagram (click!).

What I am struggling with at the moment, and with which I hope you can help me, is taking 'interesting' photos. I'm fine with the technicalities of photography, but all the technique does not compensate for dull photos. I was home in Edinburgh the other week and took 200-odd pictures, all of them mwehhh .. Daft angles, too low, too high, too busy etc ... just not, well, interesting ... So if anyone has any ideas on how to overcome this hurdle i'd be happy to hear them!

Other than that I hope to contribute to what looks like a lively and interesting forum!

Cheers
    ./Seb

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Seb!

Seb likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're not sure what you're trying to show. For example, suppose you pick a lamp post. What's interesting about it? Is it the lamp housing, the shape of the post, where it is? Try to answer each of these with a seperate picture. Above all, not every picture needs to be "great art". It's enough that it shows something to others that you found interesting. Just to make the point, they replaced the sewers in one of the local villages. I took various pictures of the work but this shows the important thing from the point of the locals - the new tarmac running down the centre of the road. No great art but I think it makes the point...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Seb likes this.
  4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Seb, welcome to the AP forums!

You might find it helpful to have a good browse of the Appraisal Gallery, and perhaps post one or two of your own pictures for critique & comment...

Seb likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Perhaps what you are lacking is a reason for taking the photographs beyond "I was here and this is what I saw"? Not that I think there's anything wrong with that as a reason for taking photographs but after a while it can become a bit like working in auto - if you haven't really had to think about why you want to make a shot, perhaps it becomes less interesting? You could test out this theory by giving yourself a project/theme/brief to work to and see if the resulting images grab you more?

Seb likes this.
  6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

A camera is not selective.
    When you look around with your eyes, you don't see the bits that you are not interested in. You only see what ever caught your interest in the first place... even though in reality it is only a tiny portion of the view in front of you.
    You have to train your self to see again, as a photographer.
    You have to move to get into a position that shows what you are interested in to the best advantage.
    You have to frame and crop by changing lens, or zoom or get closer, to eliminate what is not necessary.
    You have to Wait until the moment is right to capture the right moment.
    The mass of shots you have taken, probably all contained something interesting as something must have caught your attention, for you to have taken a picture.
    However what ever it was was lost amongst a heap of junk that you were not interested in, or the moment had passed.

One way or another we all learn from our mistakes.

Seb likes this.
  7. Seb

Seb New Member

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

@Andrew Flannigan - you're right, it doesn't need to be 'art'. But I am very critical of my photographs. A stray tree here, a intrusive car there and it's condemned to the scrapheap. This perfectionism is not healthy, and is a real barrier.

@AlexMonro - thanks, i'll take a look and submit something.

@Geren - I'm happy enough with the reason for taking the photograph (i have certain things that i gravitate towards, and that i like to include in my images), the problem is that i'm not finding the angles, or the right way to capture what my eye and 'creative' mind sees. I do like the idea of the theme though - there's a street in Amsterdam here that I find fascinating - the buildings, the shop fronts, the way the light falls on the cobbled streets in the evening, and the people that work there. I was thinking of making that a project.

@Terrywoodenpic - excellent advice. Someone else told me to slow down. Take your time, work the scene, and zoom with your feet.

This extract from a youtube video by Donato Dicamillo is what I try to remember whenever I go out to shoot. Warning - some strong language from the start. And throughout :) ====> ClickMe!! (in case it doesn't quite work, wind on to 2:45 ..)

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I am one who recognises this problem - only too well, in fact...! ;)

However, there are many talented and helpful people on here, who - I'm sure - will be ready to advise.

Seb likes this.