1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Thailand

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Digitalmemories, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Hi.

Long time AP reader (when I can find it, usually in airport newsagents), and old enough to know how to load film. Moved to digital in the early days of 1.4 megapixels, still like my old swiveling lens Nikon Coolpix, but migrated to Fuji X-Series via Lumix micro four thirds.

Main interest is portraits and travel, but like viewing, reading cmments and commenting on any genres to help me learn and grow in my hobby. Was once paid by 12 euros by Getty Images for photos of the demonstrations in Bangkok, so guess that makes me semi-pro!

Not yet figured out how to add a profile picture in this forum?

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome along. I could be wrong, but I think you have to rack up a certain number of posts to open up the permission to add a profile picture. A mod will confirm. :)

Digitalmemories likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

And you're STILL waiting for it to lock focus...

Cheers,

R.

4. Digitalmemories

Ah yes.

But the design was clever. Most current digital cameras just seem to copy an old dslr or rangefinder body, even though they don't need to follow the old film camera layout? Some even have a prism housing with no prism or mirror (Fuji xt-1, Olympus OMD etc).

5. Roger Hicks

I've thought quite long and hard about this. The thing is, a traditional camera shape is easy to hold, and the viewfinder has to go somewhere, so there's quite a lot of sense in sticking with the same shape. What in your view would be better?

Cheers,

R.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed. At the start of the digital revolution, manufacturers tried all sorts of fancy shapes, but most of them were rather uncomfortable and less practical than traditional shapes. One reason for the return to those traditional shapes, although it's probably also easier to market a camera that looks like a camera rather than an experiment at Fisher Price. ;)

Digitalmemories and Roger Hicks like this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Coolpix 990 was my first digital and I still use it from time to time. Its one real problem is that the LCD is tiny and washes out in anything other than low light. It does have an optical viewfinder but as soon as you fit any of the wide angle lens adapters you can't see much if anything through it. On the other hand build and image quality were very high for the time.

8. Digitalmemories

Well just a thought, but why should the viewfinder be fixed to the camera? You could wear it like a hi-tech monocle, with a head-up type display for the settings. Low angle shots would be easier, and tripod use would be ultra steady. Right or left eye would be irrelevant.

And why not a sculpted hand-friendlly shape rather than a box? Look at sniper rifles or modern recurve bows for inspiration.

And the lenses not in use - why not a swivel like an old movie camera? You're carrying them anyway, why not have them ready for use?

There must be a better way than copying a film camera?

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I was with you until then - it's heavy enough with one lens on, I wouldn't want 2 or 3 attached to it.

One of the reasons I don't like cameras without a viewfinder, is that the natural steadying of the camera caused by holding it against your face is of value to me. Holding a camera out in front of you so you can see the LCD introduces shake for me. I like the idea of disconnecting the camera from the finder (if you overcome the latency), but worry about the loss of stability.

Remember it's only worth doing if it results in it being easier or better or both.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Digitalmemories

Good points, a detachable viewfinder that could be fitted left or right or detached completely. Also a detachable, wireless flash, screen and shutter release.

I could imagine a wedding shoot, with the camera on a tripod, the photographer arranging the dress, directing guests, tidying up a distracting background, then stepping aside to take a remote shot that can be reviewed on the remote screen.

And the quality of selfies would improve hugely!

As for the swiveling three prime lenses, probably a bad idea - but think next gen one inch sensor, three quality prime lens compact?

And the detached screen could make a nice video light, softbox or macro light.

Then put it all back together to make a demon, sniper-rifle style wildlife shooter.

A modular camera system, where more than just the lens is interchangeable. Perhaps even tbe sensor could be changed? I think Ricoh did this in the early days when people were still thinking outside the (black) box?

But now the marketing teams dictate that we can have a mock rangefinder or a mock dslr.

exspmr likes this.
  11. Roger Hicks

And look at how you hold a sniper rifle and a recurve bow.... I've tried both. And lots of cameras. With the same lens (38/4.5 Biogon) the conventionally shaped Alpa (and grips each side, central finder) wipes the floor with a Hasselblad SW.

The "monocle viewfinder" presupposes a tripod with instantaneous response and is therefore a non-starter for 99.999% of pictures, and is also insanely over-complicated: imagine trying to point a hand-held camera in the direction your monocle is pointing.

Turret lenses? Weight and balance... Again, I've owned 'em (see the cover of A History of the 35mm Still Camera).

Yes, they're all great ideas -- until you think a bit harder about them. Or try them.

Cheers,

R

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Besides, many modern cameras can connect to s mobile phone or tablet to provide that remote viewfinder, something I personally find pretty useful - but not as much as the optical viewfinder overall.