1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Chichester

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by ClickingBox, May 9, 2019.

1. ClickingBox

ClickingBox New Member

Just joined up today. I am interested in old cameras and film formats and am currently scanning and restoring family photos from about 1900 onward to modern days.

My current investigation is the origin of a Vest Pocket Kodak Camera which was handed down the family to arrive on my desk! Is it possible to date this camera more precisely by the engraved number on it (14676)? I know the camera was made between the dates 1913 and 1925'ish but getting the actual date would identify the original owner in my family.

Is there a web site that anyone has found that lists serial numbers against dates? (As in the leica cameras IIIa etc).

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I'm sure that someone can give you some help with your question. Give it a few days!

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Where was it made USA, England, Canada? What patent dates are on the camera?
    For a USA made camera a patent date of only 1902 on camera front is on the very earliest cameras.
    Patents dates of both 1902 and 1913 shown mean before 1915. Later cameras show 1917

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hi and welcome. I can't help with the VPK dating, but I did a lot of digging on one a couple of years ago, that was all reported here. I traced it to an Australian soldier who served in WW1 and stayed on until mid 1919 as part of the war graves commission. Found every detail of where he came from, ship he went over and back on, battles engaged in etc. There was a big clue to fact it might have been a soldier in pencil on inside of the case. It is now on display at the Australian war museum in France and they even gave me a little medal.

BTW, I was born in Chichester. Sadly, never been back.