1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello from a clueless first timer

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Thee Plasterer, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Thee Plasterer

Thee Plasterer New Member

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along Jim. Enjoy your new purchase.:)

4. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Hi Jim and welcome........:cool:

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Welcome to the AP forums!

The Fuji SL300 is an average small sensor bridge camera, with all the advantages (large depth of field) and drawbacks (limited dynamic range and image quality) of the type. It'll certainly be an improvement on your phone, especially for pictures of things a long way off, such as wildlife, and should give fairly reasonable results in good light.

Do feel free to come back and ask questions, and perhaps post a picture to the Appraisal Gallery - the critique and comments can be a great way to learn, although a thick skin can sometimes be an advantage... :)

6. Hi and welcome, I am also new and clueless so you're in good company lol

7. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Welcome all ye clueless folk to the AP madhouse !

8. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

9. Thee Plasterer

I'm about 17 stone , Thick skin is a given !!!!!! :)

that's the kind of info I was hoping for :) , obviously I'm very well aware that I have bought a very limited camera , but as a total beginner , I didn't see much point in spending much more than that , until I see if it continues to spark my interest .

one of the main reasons that I got a camera is , I use it for work purposes , I fit Bathrooms for a living , and want to take before , during and after pics , but the pics I have just now are awful , which I'm guessing is mainly due to using my phone as a camera !!!! , but also the very restricted space in which I have to operate , an average bathroom is only 1.8metres * 2.1 metres , so there's not much scope to incorperate a whole vista in that short a space , perhaps to get a better idea of what I mean , have a little peek at some of the pictures in my albums on Facebook , https://www.facebook.com/ThePlasterer/photos_albums
    which is where I get most of my work from ,

so it's reasonably important to me to try to make a better impression with my work pics ,

I am guessing that what I really need is a wide angled lens ???? but not sure

all help will be warmly appreciated :) , Jim .

10. Thee Plasterer

Thank you all for such a lovely welcome .
    one of my previous hobbys was Scuba Diving , and I have seen some wonderful sights close up , but regretfully none of them are on film :(

I used to think that Scuba Diving was an expensive hobby , but that was before I started to look into the costs involved in Photography !!!!!!

11. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Cost is never ending, you have to resist temptation...:cool:

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Seems sensible.

The SL300 is 24mm equiv at the wide end, so is probably a bit wider field of view than your phone. What might also improve the bathroom pics, since the light in there is somewhat limited, would be a tripod, or other camera support, so you can make long exposures without camera shake.

You can also get various clamp arrangements that allow you to mount the camera securely to things like chairs or sawhorses.

Another technique you can do with a tripod is High Dynamic Range (HDR), which enables photos to show a wider brightness range than is usually possible, so revealing more detail in shadows. You'll probably find that attention to conventional lighting or flash will help too.

Also, with a panoramic head (which allows you to rotate the camera about the entrance pupil of the lens, avoiding parallax) mounted on the tripod, you'll be able to create stitched panoramas - seamlessly joining several photos together - to cover an even wider view, up to full circle if you want.

13. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Any hobby that you enjoy is expensive, and if your a pensioner like me and you have saved for your golden years then make sure you spend it on things you have always wanted.......Your welcome!