1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello (again) from Sheffield.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Chatts, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Chatts

Chatts New Member

Hello all,

I used to be a member of the AP forum until about 10 or so years ago when I drifted away from the hobby due to work/ lack of free time. I did a years AS level course at college as a filler alongside other studies and particularly enjoyed the darkroom work. From that time I still have a good selection of manual focus Minolta kit and a Rolleicord Va that I enjoyed playing with.

Going back a good few years now I bought a Nikon D90s with the 18-70mm lens on the recommendation of a semi professional/ serious amateur friend. I didn't really gel with the digital way of doing things (in particular the manipulation required on PC afterwards) and it has seen little use other than for family photos and snapshots.

Now that I have a little more spare time I have decided to try again. Reading around on the web I have ordered some Kodak Ektar 100 to begin with and look forward to dusting off my Minolta kit once it arrives. I intend to shoot B&W and slide film also. My eventual aim is to set up my own darkroom.

I'm from Sheffield and luckily for me the Peak District is around a 20 minute drive from where I live. Mostly I'm interested in landscapes/ urban/ nature photography and still have a lot to learn. My artistic eye isn't that good (I always understood the technical side better) but I hope to improve and have spent a lot of time recently looking at the work of other photographers on sites like Flickr to find inspiration and to learn from their composition and choice of subject.

I look forward to learning from you all and no doubt will have plenty of questions as I progress.

Bye for now,

Mat.

Geren likes this.
  2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Welcome back, Mat, and Happy New Year!

Ektar 100 - possibly my favourite film! :)

As you probably remember, the Appraisal Gallery here is a good place to learn composition and the artistic side - I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Chatts likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm from Sheffield originally, although I've spent almost no time living there but it would be nice to see some shots of the area to see what if anything I remember! Look forward to seeing some of your images!

EightBitTony and Chatts like this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And hello from another Yorkshire man here, also originally from your neck of the woods, Deepcar to be exact. Left in 1977 though!